Magical thinking and then some

Hi. I am really stressed and struggling

I get/do loads of magical thinking. After huge efforts it can calm down for a short period but it comes back again quickly due to any kind of stress.

During the magical thinking (mt) I think that doing smthg eg a movement or action or not doing smthg is 'wrong'. And if I don't listen to it and conform, my mind goes onto smthg I mustn't or must do, ie a punishment.It happens more when I have been successful at doing some things that I previously prohibited eg putting items on ebay or any damn thing I think of.

Does anyone else get this? I cant take much more. Please help me, I cant type much (back pain due 2 ocd behaviour yrs ago)but I am reaching out 4 help.BL

Magical thinking is a known type of obsession with OCD. It can be simple, like thinking A must be done before B or something bad will happen to quite complex scenarios.

Like other types of OCD the path forward is to not engage with the thoughts. You get the thought that you must do something but you choose not to do that thing, not get drawn into the magical thinking.

Guest Saved by zero

I've had magical thinking for about 40 years now.

I will get a thought about something bad happening and if I don't do a compulsion to cancel it out, I think it will happen.

It goes long with my hyper responsibility obsessions.

Edited by Saved by zero

During the magical thinking (mt) I think that doing smthg eg a movement or action or not doing smthg is 'wrong'. And if I don't listen to it and conform, my mind goes onto smthg I mustn't or must do, ie a punishment.It happens more when I have been successful at doing some things that I previously prohibited eg putting items on ebay or any damn thing I think of.

Please address this para particularly. BL

Hi Bl

I think you nred to go down the route of exposure and response prevention.

The OCD has created a hierarchy of compulsive rituals. You need to face up to exposure and show yourself that nothing bad id going to happen if you don't do the ritual.

The "punishment " is dictator OCD's way of seeking to get you back doing the rituals.Stand up to it - refuse to accept a punishment and stand up to whatever its next approach is.

Once you realise the rituals actually just fuel the problem, and break the chain, you will break free - but you must be strong face up to resultant short term anxiety and remember we are with you and encouraging you

Edited by taurean

Hi Bl

I think you nred to go down the route of exposure and response prevention.

The OCD has created a hierarchy of compulsive rituals. You need to face up to exposure and show yourself that nothing bad id going to happen if you don't do the ritual.

The "punishment " is dictator OCD's way of seeking to get you back doing the rituals.Stand up to it - refuse to accept a punishment and stand up to whatever its next approach is.

Once you realise the rituals actually just fuel the problem, and break the chain, you will break free - but you must be strong face up to resultant short term anxiety and remember we are with you and encouraging you

Thank you Taurean, so much. The simple way you explain, just when I need it, is very helpful for me. I can now try to put it into action. I get confused 'tho, and I know I will need answers to q's that I am too stressed to work out sometimes, so I would ask if I can ask advice from if/when these occur?

I feel that low self esteem has a large part ot play in my troubles, along with very distressing and physical difficulties and pain and I wonder if the "punishment" part is also to do with this. I was adopted as a baby and I think this has affected me greatly. Having said that, I think that what you said in your last 2 paras still stands. Thank you again. BL

Thank you also to the others that have responded.

Edited by bendylouise