Is this ocd,depression or what - Merged Thread

Ok so I'll try and explain things firstly I can't seem to get interest in anything everything seems to bore me to tears,my job is very boring I do a minibus run twice a day for about half an hour each time it's easy but find it very boring,I don't like where I live to the point of not been able to stand the sight of the place,I hate my car I used to love driving but hate it now and I don't really like myself much with the mental health issues and the psoriasis which annoys me to death,people I tell say there's nowt wrong with these things and I just have a BAD attitude,they could well be right but how do I just snap out of it and see the positives I don't seem to be wired that way,then I feel guilty for not appreciating what I have even though I don't like the things I have,am I just an ungrateful idiot or what??

From reading all your posts, I think you seem very depressed.

Did you start your depression course yet? if so how did it go?

I've never had to deal with severe depression--just severe anxiety and severe ocd. but I've been in groups with people who have severe depression. It seems very tough to deal with. It sounds like you are taking a lot of good steps toward getting better. working some, getting out to some events, taking meds, now starting a course. Hopefully something will kick in and take its effect.

I'd be very interested to know what approach your class is taking.

Today was the first part it touched on basic things such as getting proper sleep,exercise and avoiding alcohol,fairly straight forward things for depression,without sounding like im negative my depression came after ocd diagnosis so whilst I have ocd I'll have depression

well that's good that you've started on your course. I know that sometimes the stuff they present can seem a little basic but there are often some things we can change in our basic life that will have an impact on things like depression and anxiety. do you have a pretty good handle on those things they've presented so far? are you eating well and exercising and avoiding drink?

I think that you should be able to expect to get out of the depression before recovering from ocd. In the book I have on ocd it actually says that if you are depressed as well as having ocd it is good to treat the depression first, so that you are better able to deal with the ocd.

they could well be right but how do I just snap out of it and see the positives I don't seem to be wired that way,then I feel guilty for not appreciating what I have even though I don't like the things I have,am I just an ungrateful idiot or what??

I know what you mean here about not being wired to see the positives. I'm like that myself--with me it makes me more anxious rather than depressed. however, I was impressed with how cognitive therapy can help to overcome our natural thought tendencies. so hopefully your course will help you to examine how those thoughts can be re-routed into a more positive approach.

also I'm sorry if any of my responses to your posts have contributed to any guilt feelings.

all the best!

I know I'm such a burden to my family,I've found out other members of my family are now seeking therapy because of the situation with me!! Not only am I in this situation but now I'm bringing others down with me,I am such a problem !!!

I know I'm such a burden to my family,I've found out other members of my family are now seeking therapy because of the situation with me!! Not only am I in this situation but now I'm bringing others down with me,I am such a problem !!!

That's a great example of an automatic negative thought. as you mentioned, your current thought process is going automatically to see the negative.

So I could put a positive spin on that same situation, by looking at it this way:

1) wow, my family really must care about me a whole lot

2)Isn't that great that other members of my family are getting therapy as well--so many people find it very helpful in so many areas of life. maybe it will help them in many areas as well

3) maybe if my family is getting help we'll all be able to tackle these issues together and become closer because of it

not necessarily. especially if that person is wise enough to seek help.

people can learn a lot about themselves and really grow when supporting those with various struggles. it can be a hard journey but the outcomes can be good. there are good support groups for family members, too, that can provide a good sense of community.

again, so much in life is how we look at things.

I can see your way of thinking BUT when that person is becoming depressed and needing help purely because of me then that is truly a bad thing

Bruces, like a lot of OCD sufferers (myself included), you seem to be taking on a lot of responsibility for other people's welfare. I don't believe you chose to be depressed or have OCD and you certainly never chose to make life harder for your loved ones, so give yourself a break. I know that my first depression was brought on by OCD and my second came before this current go-round with OCD, so it can work both ways. I completely agree with Doris, however, that it's wise to get the depression turned around before dealing with the OCD. Depression is such a beast that it can really prevent you from taking good care of yourself and we are all hoping you will feel better soon. So good luck with the course. Give it your best shot. Because feeling happy is something we all deserve, especially those of us who struggle so much to get there.