What Are We All Doing To Tackle Our OCD Currently?

I'll start off by saying I am not giving OCD much houseroom; because I am extremely busy workwise, keeping distraction going also through things like the world cup and keeping fit in the gym, gardening, helping my wife around the home.

I am also carrying out the process of mindfulness walking (just be-ing in the present, and smelling the roses as i walk by them, the cut grass, observing other walkers, noting the antics of their children, watching the schoolkids team up with their friends on route to work etc.... .

Guest LauraMac

I'm kicking OCD's ass at the minute. I'm the same as yourself in that I'm not giving it any leg room. I do what I want and try not to listen to OCD. On Saturday I went on my first ever staff night out. I had actually never been in a pub before as I couldn't drink from the glasses and they made me anxious. I also had BBQ that night, which I've never had before due to contamination fears. Then I also used the public toilet with no problem. So great progress. I try my best not to listen to that OCD voice anymore. Sometimes I loose that battle but it's all about continuing to fight other battles to win that war!

Guest thealgorithm

That's the way to do it. But may be more effective if you try not to push it out, but to let it sit there when it comes but not to respond to it (or minimize the response at least)

I'm kicking OCD's ass at the minute. I'm the same as yourself in that I'm not giving it any leg room. I do what I want and try not to listen to OCD. On Saturday I went on my first ever staff night out. I had actually never been in a pub before as I couldn't drink from the glasses and they made me anxious. I also had BBQ that night, which I've never had before due to contamination fears. Then I also used the public toilet with no problem. So great progress. I try my best not to listen to that OCD voice anymore. Sometimes I loose that battle but it's all about continuing to fight other battles to win that war!

Hey Laura this is great.

Looks like you've come a very long way, I am so pleased for you.

Roy

Mmm....been a bit better recently and i am enjoying the relief.however i now feel i should face things ive been avoiding etc rather than just hoping they dont arise.eg.i avoid thinking about work incase i think of something i did to cause harm.i guess i need to think about my day at the end of the day as others would and not avoid it so that i learn to face challenges.just so scared of another big episode though i do feel much better generally.thanks for this post it made .e think :)

Harm issues and concern not to trigger a relapse are concerns I know only too well.

And I find personally I am - crazily - often most vulnerable when I seem to be at my strongest.

So I am with you on this ecomum, take it gently, there is no race involved in facing up to and winning over OCD.

I'm phone typing which is not the easiest, but at last month's Nottm/Derby support groups I told my group that despite walking barefoot in my kitchen, For the last 18 month's I had not been able tontouch the kitchen floor with my hand since a mouse was in there.

So I told the group that before this month's group my challenge was to touch the floor without washing my hands to 'feel' clean. Despite thinking about it for three weeks I just could not do it. Then Thursday night, my last night at home I finally plucked up the courage and I did it, multiple times, immediately touching my face, sofa, computer etc. Felt ok, no post exposure anxiety at all.

My next challenge Is to touch the kitchen floor next to skirting boards where mousey was running and pooping. Eek.

Guest LauraMac

I'm phone typing which is not the easiest, but at last month's Nottm/Derby support groups I told my group that despite walking barefoot in my kitchen, For the last 18 month's I had not been able tontouch the kitchen floor with my hand since a mouse was in there.

So I told the group that before this month's group my challenge was to touch the floor without washing my hands to 'feel' clean. Despite thinking about it for three weeks I just could not do it. Then Thursday night, my last night at home I finally plucked up the courage and I did it, multiple times, immediately touching my face, sofa, computer etc. Felt ok, no post exposure anxiety at all.

My next challenge Is to touch the kitchen floor next to skirting boards where mousey was running and pooping. Eek.

It's great that Ash, really brilliant! :)

Laura x

I jave been keeping really busy again on mu work; but this evening was a very special time - our CEO - like me - is retiring, and the firm threw a retirement party at a roof garden hotel in central London.

We had an absolutely wonderful time, everyone present thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

But here's the real bonus to justify the post. Had a known it was on a roof garden, I might not have gone because I have big OCD issues about heights. But since I had no prior warning, and all my friends I am totally comfortable with were there, the height issue was as if it DID NOT EXIST, I had no bother with it whatsoever.

BRILLIANT

Roy

Guest intruded

I jave been keeping really busy again on mu work; but this evening was a very special time - our CEO - like me - is retiring, and the firm threw a retirement party at a roof garden hotel in central London.

We had an absolutely wonderful time, everyone present thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

But here's the real bonus to justify the post. Had a known it was on a roof garden, I might not have gone because I have big OCD issues about heights. But since I had no prior warning, and all my friends I am totally comfortable with were there, the height issue was as if it DID NOT EXIST, I had no bother with it whatsoever.

BRILLIANT

Roy

Fear of heights (actually fear that I will jump) is one of my biggest obsessions and I hate it. I felt really bad until recently; I was faced with some situations where I had to go on heights and it actually went pretty well; that is when I realized that exposure really helps. I have had OCD for 8 years now; I was on zoloft for 5 years and it did help with OCD but I just had to try without it (I had very heavy periods on zoloft as well as some sexual side effects and sleepiness). And I did relapse last year pretty soon after stopping zoloft... But, I am doing ok now, which makes me really happy and gives me hope that I can make it without medication. The only thing I am doing to cope is trying not to have my OCD govern my life - I am not avoiding anything because of it. That is basically exposure. I'm not sure how to do exposure and response prevention properly because I cannot establish what my responses are (everything got pretty complicated over the years). But I am doing pretty well with exposure and just not behaving the way OCD wants me to behave.

Not fighting the anxiety when it comes and accepting that it'll just be there either way. Been working too, I felt much less anxious today :) I'm also doing ERP tasks close to every day.