Some weird stuff that's been going on with me

Guest telecastersunburst

Guest telecastersunburst

Hi everyone,

There is something weird that's been going on with me from an early age. Although, I haven't been diagnosed, I'm 99% sure that I have OCD since I have experienced most of its symptoms, and I've read a lot about this disorder recently. So there is this weird thing and I don't even know how to put it, and my English is not very good. You might laugh or think I am a complete retard or freak, good thing I am anonymous. The thing is that for some reason I sometimes imagine some people to be pets. When I was a child/teenager I frequently imagined my elder brother as dog, I even called him a dog, and often pictured him in my head barking, pictured myself playing with him. My brother didn't seem to mind, he obviously must have thought it to be weird, but we never talked about this. After a while, however, i turned my attention towards my mom. First I used to call her a chicken (not as an insult, i love chicken), then I started to see her as a pig and I still do, and it is like I imagine myself petting my mom, I don't know. Sometimes I call her a pig and even immitate pig noises. I know my mom is not thrilled about it but never complained about my weird behaviour. The thing is actually I realise the whole thing is weird, and I would be very ashamed if someone found out about this, I even get ashamed when I catch myself imagining these things. I haven't found anything relevant on Google, and this doesn't seem to interfere with my daily life but I find this so weird, I behave like I'm retarded, although I don't think I am since I realise this behaviour is not normal. So I would be grateful if you could share your opinions. I don't actually think this is related to OCD but who knows...This might be related to my anger issues, i tend to break things in my home, get angry over trivial things. I usually get angry to a point where my face becomes all red and i start sweating and screaming like a little child, and I usually cool off after a few minutes and I might even be ashamed of the thinigs I had said or done during the anger outburst. Anyway, I hope I have made myself clear, thanks for reading this! :original:

Guest Sisyphus

Hi T,

Would you say that you make a concious choice to imagine people as pets? Or do you truly believe they are pets, even temporarily?

I'll be honest - it doesn't *sound* like OCD from everything I have read about it, but who knows.

Does it cause you any anxiety or dirstress before, during or after? How long's it been going on? How frequently would you say it happens(how many times a day roughly)?

David.

Guest telecastersunburst

Hi,

I really think it's a conscius choice, I don't actually believe they are pets, i guess it's just a way to escape reality and live in this weird little world of mine even if for a few seconds. Then I realize this is weird and get back to the real world. I don't think it causes any kind of anxiety, it just makes me feel retarded, childish. I really hoped someone knew what is this. It is weird that I couldn't find anything related to this on Google, I couldn't find anyone who experienced the same thing.

Guest Sisyphus

Hi,

I really think it's a conscius choice, I don't actually believe they are pets, i guess it's just a way to escape reality and live in this weird little world of mine even if for a few seconds. Then I realize this is weird and get back to the real world. I don't think it causes any kind of anxiety, it just makes me feel retarded, childish. I really hoped someone knew what is this. It is weird that I couldn't find anything related to this on Google, I couldn't find anyone who experienced the same thing.

I tried googling it too. Best I could find was lycanthropy but really not even close.

Without wanting to sound dismissive or facetious, I don't think it sounds like OCD. And if it's a concious choice and not causing you any anxiety, and there doesn't seem to be any matching thing on google, then hopefully, maybe, it's nothing you need to worry about. Maybe you've just got a good creative imagination and play with these ideas from time to time, in which case hopefully it'll just pass and you'll move onto something else. I remember doing stuff like that - for me it was usually drawing and word play though.

Sorry - I feel like that's not the answer you were after, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

David.

Guest telecastersunburst

Thanks for your reply, man! You are right and I guess things now are much better than a few years ago when I couldn't get out of my bed due to my OCD lol. Cheers!

I could be completely wrong but i think it's possible that this is to do with ocd (although by no means definite) - I.e. you are having some unusual but harmless thoughts, and you're questioning and analysing what they "mean"about you I.e. "am I weird"etc. The compulsion could be asking for reassurance here that it is normal. I could be completely wrong though - does that sound possible? x

Guest Sisyphus

Thanks for your reply, man! You are right and I guess things now are much better than a few years ago when I couldn't get out of my bed due to my OCD lol. Cheers!

Oh - that is new information T! Perhaps that puts a new complexion on things then! I thought this family/pet thing was the only symptom. But if you've prior form with OCD, then who knows. Based on my understanding of OCD, it still doesn't really sound like it to me, but maybe listen to Gingerbreadgirl cos she's been around the block more than me with this thing.

Hi tele,

Have you never openly spoken to your GP about your worries?

Have a read of the link below, & take a look at the bit about derealisation 'feelings'. Does that sound familiar, or do you reckon it still OCD? It could even be both.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/dissociative-disorders/about-dissociative-disorders/?o=6286