Trigger / Spike warnings in thread titles

Just a reminder to the forum there is no point putting trigger warnings in thread titles because we have always removed them.

The reason for this is that potentially any thread could trigger someone, but also I once logged on to see a page of threads with warnings, and it just looked ridiculous, so I now edit out all thread warnings I see on thread titles.

You are right of course, Ashley.

I got spooked once by the content of a thread and asked why there was no warning, and Legend explained the charity's stance.

I went back to my notes on how I (in my therapy) should expect, and deal with, triggers - I have to impliment them anyway when matters that are, or could become, triggers present themselves to me.

And so of course should we all - I always recommend people in therapy work with the therapist to create a response/relapse prevention blueprint, so they have a strategy to address upsets and triggers.

People going down the self-help route can also do this, especially using CBT workbooks.

Regards

Roy

Edited by taurean

Notwithstanding the rules, there is little point in trying to warn people on a public forum.

OCD involves such a broad range of obsessions that potentially anything could be a trigger. We have had members in the forum who obsess over specific words. How could anyone know what words not to use.

In addition, we are all here to seek help or give help. That includes having to face what potentially sends one into an episode.

Exactly, PolarBear.

I now treat looking at the threads as part of my exposure therapy, just as I, encouraged by my therapist, make sure I look through a newspaper pretty well daily, and observe, label as OCD any resultant intrusions, then turn the page and move on from them.

• 2 months later...

Taken from another thread, these questions on this subject were raised.

Please dont worry u did'nt do anything wrong, you dont know the rules of the forum (which I have not seen in writting).

Creed3 please dont worry - Im sure Ashley will investigate this as it is on an open public forum.

Please provide me psychological research that proves you are right.

The forum is open, but all users please be aware that with hundreds of posts a day, the moderating team perhaps see less than 20% between us. If there is an issue users should use the 'report' button to alert the mod team who usually investigate with 24 hours (less if we can).

The decision to remove trigger warnings was taken by myself in agreement with my moderator team almost 10 years ago now. It was our choice based not on unnecessary psychological evidence, but based on one thing and one thing only, 'common sense' as the previous posts on this thread explain why.

The Forum rules were seen by all users at the registration point. You have to check the 'I've read and agree to the Terms of Use' which includes a link to view them, so by registering you are saying you read and agreed to them. There is a forum rules link at the bottom of the forum on the right also.

http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

For the last 8+ users those forum rules have included the following text:

Please also be aware that by joining this Bulletin Board you will be exposing yourself to potential OCD triggers. It is not acceptable to accuse the charity, any user or moderator of triggering your OCD, self-harm or making you ill after using these forums. We recommend if you do find yourself easily triggered by comments, not to use the forums.

It's sad where someone has taken their own life because of online comments, but the reality is, if it was not the online comments it would have been something else and that person was perhaps too unwell to be using whatever forums they happened to be. If we have to put trigger warnings when we are out and about speaking, for example at my support groups, none of my members would say anything at all, we would all be sat there in silence out of fear of upsetting someone. Trigger warnings are kind hearted (and responsibility avoidance sometimes), but ultimately unhelpful on an OCD forum where every post would have to include one.