Challenge Club-Merged Threads

Okay, roll up roll up :euro: :D

Who's going to sign up for the Challenge Club, set yourself a goal (and it need only be a little one) but something, anything that you will at least TRY to achieve or even improve on this week.

Smartie points will be awarded to those who really try :clap: :D :clap:

For me It's got to be reducing checking my blood pressure.

About 18 months ago I went to the Doctors with anxiety and he took my blood pressure and it was really high. The Doc got concerned because he couldn't get a reading that was anything near acceptable whilst I was in the surgery, he suggested that I bought a B.P Machine (can't spell sphygmonomometer :) well, not sure anyway) and check my B.P at home 4-6 times a day and record the readings. He also sent me to the hospital for a 24 hour walking B.P recording, where the machine takes a reading every 1/2 hour. My own test and the hospital showed that I had labile H.B.P i.e I didn't have organic high blood pressure but labile H.B.P which meant it was shooting up under stress or when anxious, but very high.

It scared me how high it would go sometimes, so when I was anxious I'd check to reassure myself I wasn't going to explode or die. How embarrased am I :blushing: :blushing: :D

I thought I was using it as some sort of bio feedback (and to an extent was/am) but I never even realised until very recently that this was a typical obsession/compulsion :stupid: Duh, it makes my brain hurt. I've always thought I had only Pure 'O', clearly some other little beggar crept in somewhere.

So that's mine, cut down the checking.

What's yours? Volunteers wanted :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SallyB

Fantastic idea - that is what I really need. I am going to..............hmmm... let me think..........Right here goes......... I am going to stop climbing onto the bed in the spare room and tipping the uplighter lampshade to check whether the light is really off. I KNOW that I can check by looking at it without lifting up the lampshade but it is really hard to stop myself. I know it sounds a small thing, but it is something I find difficult.

Sally B

Well done Sally, Best of Luck, I'm sure you can do it or at least improve on it :grin:

Now come on the rest of you, it can be a tiny, eensy, weensy thing...anything, but progress is progress no matter how small.

This topic has had 22 views and we've only got one volunteer so far :D I will use force if I must :D :blushing:

Think of it as the OCD Olympics :)

Guest twoshoes

I will let my husband wash up. OOOOOH!

I HAVE to wash up myself it HAS to be done a certain way and I sometimes put things in the cupboard, clean the sink, fetch them out of the cupboard and wash them up again.

When I had a house guest she would insist on washing up, I would wait for her to go to bed then I would creep down and rewash everything. I will not rewash after hubby.

I have a small son he must sometime think Mommys arms finish with bubbles instead of hands.

Let me hear you!

Go Twoshoes! Go Twoshoes! Go Twoshoes! Go Twoshoes! Go Twoshoes!

Guest Hayley

I agree this is a great idea!! Like sally i am a compulsive checker and my therapist this week has set me the task of not checking behind me so much i.e in the street, bathroom, kitchen and to be honest i havent really been doing it as i should so here goes...This is a wicked idea though!Probably the kind of motivation that would benefit all of us :D Hayleyx

Well done Hayley :grin: Lets see what we can achieve, even small steps add up to make a journey......so like twoshoes, when that doubt says uh huh, better look back....say

Go Hayley, Go Hayley, Go Hayley, Go Hayley, Go Hayley, and keep striding on :D

.....and if I falter, someone kick me :D

This seems like a great idea. For me i am going to try and trust myself and not seek reassurance that things have gone badly wrong to me and other people. I have a real contamination thing going on at the minute which i would love to shift...Lets see how far i can take it.

Adamskixx

Good Luck Adamski :D

I had a fairly good day yesterday, I had checked my B.P in the morning BUT after I set this challenge at lunch time and I didn't check again at all :grin:

Today I woke with the typical gnawing anxiety, the type that starts in the hour before you are truly awake and spent the morning with cups of tea and watching the Olympics. I waited an hour and a half before I checked and yes, suprise suprise it was up :D . My next target was to wait at least two hours, that took me to 1pm so far I haven't even though the OCD's not great today

Guest SallyB

Hooray :wallbash: I managed to not stand on the bed and pull the lampshade to look at the lightbulb to check it was off this morning. Stressful? Just a bit, but managed it. I am going to keep at it for the rest of the week and then have a new task next week.

Sally

Guest louise24

Hi folks

I've set myself the task of lowering the time I spend in the shower this week (30 mins on a good day!!!)

Going to try for 20 mins tonight....ever hopeful!!!

Louise

xxx

fantastic idea for a thread guys- i'm reading with interest :blushing:

BEST OF LUCK with it all, i'm sure you'll do great with each others' support on here :(

my OCD is far harder to detect nowadays so i'm going to try and think of something i need to cut down on and get back to you :wallbash:

Guest Newbloke

Hi all,

I have just read this post for the first time and I think this is one of the best posts I have seen on here for a while. It is a real positive post and exactly what everyone should do.

I have put a reply to Rocastles post about telling people if you are doing well. I said how I have improved and one of the things I did was what this post is about.

Just picking one thing at a time and trying not to do it.

I found that I did fell stressful a lot of the time to start with but as time went on it got easier.

I had to wash my hands a certain number of times so I decide to go into the bathroom, wash them once, just for a few seconds and turned the tap off. Dried my hands and went and sat down. I didn't think about anything other than siting down knowing I had achieved what I wanted.

I felt realy good that I had done it and started to believe that there was a way forward.

I turned out that I did improve. Slowly at first and it was stressful at times but I did improve. Later I found that it was less stressful not to do the rituals than to do them and worry if I had done them right.

To cut a long story short I think this is something everyone reading this forum should do. When you do manage to avoid the urge it feels like you are strong enough to beat OCD.

Just try it once to start with. Something simple and then move on. I worked for me.

Good luck to everyone who tries this. I know you can do it.

Newbloke.

Guest NickNickNick

Here's one for me for this weekend.

My girlfriend has a couch & chair in her (how do you say in UK - flat?) anyway, in her apartment which I believe to be 'dirty'. I am going to sit on them for awhile, and not shower/perform rituals in relation to them.

I will be away Friday/Saturday, so I will let everyone know on my Sunday night how it went...(the wee hours of Monday morning for you in the UK).

I am anxious just thinking about it...it'll be tough. :blushing:

But, it's doable. :wallbash:

P.S. My grampa was fromt the UK, so I have a fairly basic understanding of UK life...at least I think I do.

Plus, I think that in a lot of ways, Canada is more similar to the UK than the US...if anyone was curious as to how I found my way to this board from central cold Canada.

Guest irnbru1970

I will reduce the number of times I have to recheck doors, locks etc. I will try to reduce it down to at least 2 times, no more ! then perhaps it will end.... :wallbash:

John