The term 'I'm a wee bit OCD' - my awareness video

Guest LauraMac

Guest LauraMac

Hopefully I'm allowed to share this ok with OCD UK being one of the resources in it at the end. If not, feel free to remove, I'll not be offended or anything :)

I recently made a video with a group called fixers tackling the term 'I'm a wee bit OCD'. I just wanted to share it with all you guys. This group has helped me so much over the years and it's been lovely to share my recovery with you all. I just hope I can raise awareness with this video and make OCD sufferers lives easier for it. Feel free to share on social media etc, let's get the word out there that: firstly isn't a quirk and secondly that it can be beat.

http://www.fixers.org.uk/index.php?module_instance_id=11312&core_alternate_io_handler=view_fixer_news_video&data_ref_id=10629&news_data_ref_id=10624&video_no=1#.VB3YjUjHtsl.twitter

Laura xx

Hi Laura,

Excellent video.

It's great to hear a positive story and that therapy is working well for you.

I am also in therapy at the minute and I do feel it is working, but there are times when I feel that perhaps I don't try hard enough or just wonder is it working.

I think my therapist is very good but wonder how you can judge if a therapist is good or not.

I have suffered for almost 30 years so I do have loads of issues to deal with so I suppose it will take time.

Best wishes

Irene

Guest LauraMac

Hi Laura,

Excellent video.

It's great to hear a positive story and that therapy is working well for you.

I am also in therapy at the minute and I do feel it is working, but there are times when I feel that perhaps I don't try hard enough or just wonder is it working.

I think my therapist is very good but wonder how you can judge if a therapist is good or not.

I have suffered for almost 30 years so I do have loads of issues to deal with so I suppose it will take time.

Best wishes

Irene

Glad you like it Irene. Great to hear good feedback from other sufferers. Means a lot, I find it very encouraging. It's great that you feel therapy is working for you. Do you think the thought of you not trying hard enough is perhaps OCD high standards? I know I felt the same which i put down to my high standards, perfectionism and how hard I am on myself. Therapy takes time as long as you're trying to get better than that's great. Keep fighting it's worth it.

In terms of judging if a therapist is good or not, I would say if you like them, if they care and if you're making progress then it's a good therapist you're working with

All the best,

Laura xx

Thanks for your reply Laura, you could be right about the high standards I suppose OCD does make us look for perfection.

I think also that its easier to notice when you feel you have given into your OCD rather than when you haven't ( I suppose thats a good thing because it probably means you have achieved something without even thinking about it ) Not sure if that makes any sense.

I really like my therapist she seems to know exactly what I am talking about. The thing I find most challenging is filling in the various charts and keeping note of how I feel when things get bad.

Anyway what I am clear about is that I am determined that I am going to take control of my life and beat this horrible illness

Irene

Guest LauraMac

That's great Irene, that will stand you in good stead. I remember having problems filling out the sheets. I remember joking with my support group I run, that I used to leave them to the last minute (the night before) then quickly do some exposure to help me fill them out! Haha. I don't recommend that but it's the reality of what I was like! Lol. During the end months I got good at keeping up to track but that was probably actually because I was getting better. Keep going with it, I know you'll do great.

Guest LauraMac

Just wanted to share this with you all. Derren Brown Retweeted my video today then commented this:

"I'm a bit OCD cos I line up my remotes".

"Right, I'm a 'bit diabetic' cos I don't eat sweets".

Grossly misunderstood condition.

Think this is amazing for all us OCD sufferers to see a celeb put out this message. So far there's been 1000s of RT's of the message so hopefully it'll help some people understand.

Laura xx

Guest Soldiering on

Hopefully I'm allowed to share this ok with OCD UK being one of the resources in it at the end. If not, feel free to remove, I'll not be offended or anything :)

I recently made a video with a group called fixers tackling the term 'I'm a wee bit OCD'. I just wanted to share it with all you guys. This group has helped me so much over the years and it's been lovely to share my recovery with you all. I just hope I can raise awareness with this video and make OCD sufferers lives easier for it. Feel free to share on social media etc, let's get the word out there that: firstly isn't a quirk and secondly that it can be beat.

http://www.fixers.org.uk/index.php?module_instance_id=11312&core_alternate_io_handler=view_fixer_news_video&data_ref_id=10629&news_data_ref_id=10624&video_no=1#.VB3YjUjHtsl.twitter

Laura xx

My (mouthful) girlfriend's cousin's friend has just been diagnosed.

I'd once showed said cousin a cool link about Pure-O which led to

her really understanding the condition. She works for Rethink

so she's curious to read up on such things

http://www.ocduk.org/sites/default/files/understand-pure-o.pdf.pdf

Anyway, I dug that link out for her to forward to her friend.

I'll now definitely be sending on your post too! :-)

Edited by Soldiering on
Guest lizinlondon

That is amazing Laura, really good to watch. I have similar issues like you and luckily I also have a great therapist too, so maybe one day (soon?!), I will be able to say what you are saying. Cheers.

Guest LauraMac

That is amazing Laura, really good to watch. I have similar issues like you and luckily I also have a great therapist too, so maybe one day (soon?!), I will be able to say what you are saying. Cheers.

Brilliant, I'm sure you will :) x

Guest Stormwave

Just wanted to share this with you all. Derren Brown Retweeted my video today then commented this:

"I'm a bit OCD cos I line up my remotes".

"Right, I'm a 'bit diabetic' cos I don't eat sweets".

Grossly misunderstood condition.

Think this is amazing for all us OCD sufferers to see a celeb put out this message. So far there's been 1000s of RT's of the message so hopefully it'll help some people understand.

Laura xx

I'm not a big fan of Derren Brown, but that's a really nice thing of him to say!

I've had a few likes from my sharing of it on my facebook feed, will try and generate more hits for you :D

You're doing well!

Guest LauraMac

I'm not a big fan of Derren Brown, but that's a really nice thing of him to say!

I've had a few likes from my sharing of it on my facebook feed, will try and generate more hits for you :D

You're doing well!

Aw brilliant thanks! Hoping to get 1000 views before 12 tonight. Could be tough but going for it! Lol. So thanks for adding to them views :) Edited by LauraMac

well you got one more view from me just now, your really talented, that was very impressive,

you know even if I say to someone you shouldnt say something like 'I'm a wee bit OCD',

I end up saying sorry to them, or at least 'Dont worry about it', which is frustrating.

so thanks LauraMac

Guest LauraMac

well you got one more view from me just now, your really talented, that was very impressive,

you know even if I say to someone you shouldnt say something like 'I'm a wee bit OCD',

I end up saying sorry to them, or at least 'Dont worry about it', which is frustrating.

so thanks LauraMac

Thanks, that's very kind. I'm actually like you believe it or not! I often find it hard in case I offend someone. It was actually one thing I wondered about when we started making the video 'should I be so direct'. Then I came to the conclusion that yes I should. People have to know and yeah I'm sure it might annoy people who want to call themselves 'a wee bit OCD' but meh. Lol. If people don't care about offending OCD sufferers when using the term then why should I worry about them. That's the conclusion I came too and glad I did, took a while right enough! Lol :)

Thanks again for your support, it's hugely appreciated :)

Laura x

Edited by LauraMac