question about something said on forum

In another thread, one of the administrators said something along the lines of " on this forum we tend to blame a lot on OCD when it isn't OCD at all".

This is in no way an attack on the administrator who I have a great deal of respect for, but I am questioning it quite a lot.

This statement has disturbed me somewhat ( and I suspect others too) as I have self diagnosed OCD largely based on the vast amount of info I have read on this forum and others.

The above has seriously thrown into doubt a lot of what I have read.

I know " doubting you have OCD" Is a common symptom of OCD, but I haven't truly doubted it in a long time until now.

I'd be grateful if someone could maybe weigh in on this?

Many thanks x

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

I personally think that , at times we can tend to put all things down as ocd , i.e problems that are non ocd so to speak.

Like real life events and descions , but with ocd running alongside it , we then tend to "obsess" over those decisions

mistakes , etc , where it then becomes intertwined

The doubting it is ocd part you talk about , is something totally different

what happened to the motto "if it feels like ocd then it probably is"

its still here ;)

i think its based off of a different topic which a admin said that not all is ocd .

yes i know i saw that and replied . How would we then distinguish if it ocd ? mine is so unusual and stemmed from real situations. I had real reason to worry BUT i feel my ocd twisted it and dragged the concern out . my reassurance or answers were / are always knocked out with doubt .

yes i know i saw that and replied . How would we then distinguish if it ocd ? mine is so unusual and stemmed from real situations. I had real reason to worry BUT i feel my ocd twisted it and dragged the concern out . my reassurance or answers were / are always knocked out with doubt .

youve answered it yourself .. ;) my ocd twisted it and dragged the concern out .. mountain out of a mole hill

I think what was being referenced was not a comment on whether people have OCD or not. It was about individual problems that are raised on the forum that may not be OCD, that may in fact be a different problem.

Several times people have raised a concern that, to me, sounds more like GAD than OCD. That's not to say those people don't have OCD. As legend says, it all gets intertwined.

OCD is well known for being present comorbid with other disorders. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out if a given situation a forum user is posting about is in fact OCD or another disorder.

I think what was being referenced was not a comment on whether people have OCD or not. It was about individual problems that are raised on the forum that may not be OCD, that may in fact be a different problem.

Several times people have raised a concern that, to me, sounds more like GAD than OCD. That's not to say those people don't have OCD. As legend says, it all gets intertwined.

OCD is well known for being present comorbid with other disorders. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out if a given situation a forum user is posting about is in fact OCD or another disorder.

i do agree somewhat mine is very intertwined you coudnt nicley fit it into an ocd box or gad box. mine genrally looks like gad BUT is an obsession about the same thing for a very long time

Edited by mummyoftwogirls

I agree that OCD and GAD often look very similar and to be honest I am not really sure there is a significant difference between the two, at least with me.

However the impression I got from the statement (which could be very mistaken) is that we blame things on OCD when they are in actual fact normal concerns. This is what has concerned me to such a degree.

I do not have any of the 'classic' OCD patterns (apart from a bit of checking) - I don't fit into any of the general 'boxes' such as contamination, hoarding, sexuality, harm, and so on. My basis for diagnosing myself with OCD is pretty much based entirely off this forum (as self help books also tend to use these broad categories) - so when an admin says 'on the forum we blame a lot on OCD when it's not' it throws into doubt my basis for assuming I have OCD, and also my basis for judging whether something is OCD or a real concern (i.e. 'if it feels like OCD, it is').

Again I am in no way attacking the person who said this, I could be completely misinterpreting or misunderstanding/blowing it out of proportion. xx

I agree that OCD and GAD often look very similar and to be honest I am not really sure there is a significant difference between the two, at least with me.

However the impression I got from the statement (which could be very mistaken) is that we blame things on OCD when they are in actual fact normal concerns. This is what has concerned me to such a degree.

I do not have any of the 'classic' OCD patterns (apart from a bit of checking) - I don't fit into any of the general 'boxes' such as contamination, hoarding, sexuality, harm, and so on. My basis for diagnosing myself with OCD is pretty much based entirely off this forum (as self help books also tend to use these broad categories) - so when an admin says 'on the forum we blame a lot on OCD when it's not' it throws into doubt my basis for assuming I have OCD, and also my basis for judging whether something is OCD or a real concern (i.e. 'if it feels like OCD, it is').

Again I am in no way attacking the person who said this, I could be completely misinterpreting or misunderstanding/blowing it out of proportion. xx

or have you been triggered ?

or have you been triggered ?

Yes, absolutely. But I think I am pretty good at treading on triggers and although I come here asking for advice, I am careful not to ask for direct reassurance, no matter how badly I want it.

I do believe this is different because it completely contradicts everything I have read about OCD (i.e. reality never mimics OCD). Everything I have read and heard basically says 'if it feels like OCD, treat it like OCD'. Until now I have been pretty sure I have a good understanding of how OCD works x

Yes, absolutely. But I think I am pretty good at treading on triggers and although I come here asking for advice, I am careful not to ask for direct reassurance, no matter how badly I want it.

I do believe this is different because it completely contradicts everything I have read about OCD (i.e. reality never mimics OCD). Everything I have read and heard basically says 'if it feels like OCD, treat it like OCD'. Until now I have been pretty sure I have a good understanding of how OCD works x

this is how i feel too

I think there maybe is some triggering going on here, which has caused doubt to resurface.

I don't think the original comment was meant to say that some people on this forum don't have OCD but actually have another problem or concern. That was not the intent of the post. It was meant to convey that there are some issues brought up by posters that may not be OCD. I see no problem with that. I think it's very true.

I think there maybe is some triggering going on here, which has caused doubt to resurface.

I don't think the original comment was meant to say that some people on this forum don't have OCD but actually have another problem or concern. That was not the intent of the post. It was meant to convey that there are some issues brought up by posters that may not be OCD. I see no problem with that. I think it's very true.

we understand this . doesnt make it feel any better than our concerns may not be ocd. i thought ocd could be about anything ?

Guest mynameisbrian

It doesn't matter. The same "methods" to allow yourself to get over your obsessions can be applied to other negative thoughts/anxiety as well. No thought process should go into things like "Is this OCD?" it'll just make it worse. Always let go of the thoughts without analyzing them in anyway.

I feel that my knowledge of OCD has been thrown upside down by this (and I thought my knowledge was pretty good, if I'm honest).

In Brain Lock it is stated that 'if it feels like OCD, it probably is... OCD mimics reality, but reality doesn't mimic OCD' and I have used this as a rule of thumb and it has served me very well.

However, now it's being said that 'a lot' of posts people make (presumably feeling that it is OCD) are in actual fact not OCD at all.