Hi, I'm new to this..... (Driving issues)

Guest Pinkchick

Guest Pinkchick

Hi,

Since I was pregnant 5 years ago, I've suspected I may be suffering with OCD but I guess I've never quite had the courage to face up to it and the thought of it really upsets me.

I've only ever had thoughts about things going wrong or checking things, however recently I've started to develop real worries about driving. Having read a few things on the internet, it seems that this can be quite common. This is becoming a bit of an issue for me as I commute approx. 25 miles each way to work. I seem to stress about everything in the car - did I go through a red light, was I speeding past a camera and worse still did I hit someone!!! There's been a few occasions recently where I've even had to retrace my journey to check. I feel like it's come to a head tonight as earlier today I went through a pedestrian crossing when the light was on amber. There were people including 2 kids with bikes waiting to cross as I went over the crossing and now I'm stressing that I hit one of them without realising (I hasten to add I wasn't speeding). I retraced my route twice immediately afterward then once again later this evening but still it's eating away at me and I don't know how to stop it.

I know the answer already and I really think I need to deal with this and speak to someone before things get worse. I would really love to hear from anyone affected by these sorts of thoughts and would really like to hear any advice.........

I don't really have the same type of thoughts about injuring people but it seems to be very common with OCD.

As you said yourself, it might be a good idea to speak to someone if it's affecting your life. Do you have a sympathetic doctor you can talk to? Or in many parts of the country you can refer yourself for CBT. The problem with OCD is it can get out of hand very quickly if it's not challenged, especially if there's any stress in your life. Best to get it sorted now I reckon.