I need a second opinion :)

Guest 1D_Girl_xoxo

Guest 1D_Girl_xoxo

Hi everyone,

I posted it early whoops!

I really need someones opinion on this, so I'm going to give some context. I am 16 and I had been working at a restaurant for about 8 weeks, I worked every saturday 12-6 and every sunday 12-6. This was not my first job as I had been a waitress for around a year at another restaurant before this job came about. The week I started my job I also started my AS levels at college and it was that week that my OCD started to worsen. I think it was a combination of a tonne of work and self imposed pressure that I started to have panic attacks again and for the last couple of weeks I have been having panic attacks frequently, I've pretty much watched my grades fall as my OCD got worse. Today at work, I broke down right in front of my boss and I told him I couldn't do this anymore, although the hours were short I was crumbling and I couldn't cope with the pressure I was putting on myself to be perfect. So I have ended up quitting. I was using the money I was earning to save up for University, so thats all gone wrong.

I really wanted a second opinion on whether I am being weak? I know so many people would be able to handle a part time job and the fact that I can't has upset me so much :( I didn't know whether I should have carried on through the rough patch? I don't know maybe it would have gotten better? I'm really not sure whether I have done the right thing or not by quitting and I'd really like someone to tell me what they think. An outside perspective would be of value right now, because my head's a bit all over the place :/

Thanks for reading!

Chloe x

Chloe, you are not weak. OCD is a tough disorder to deal with and sometimes it just gets to be too much to handle.

We talk a lot on the main forum about stress and OCD and the general consensus is that stress makes OCD worse. You've already got a disorder that's difficult to deal with. Then you add to that pressures from everyday life and the combination is not good.

Many people have had to drop something out of their lives in order to have the time and brain power to deal with everyday concerns and their OCD. You are not alone. There is only so much we can handle at one time. It is very important for us to take care of ourselves. That means not being super busy all day long, eating right, sleeping right and taking time out to relax and decompress.

You've done what you needed to in order to keep going. You are taking care of yourself. There's jobs out there for you when you feel up to stepping into the workforce again. In the mean time, continue to look after yourself. You're worth it!

Guest 1D_Girl_xoxo

Thankyou for replying PolarBear!

Your answer has definitely made me feel better, It's really nice to know that I am not the only one whose had to quit something because of OCD.

Thankyou again, take care also!

Chloe :original:

Guest Sally44

Whether someone has OCD or not, there is a certain amount of stress that is healthy, and above that it is detrimental.

But having OCD makes things alot harder, because there is the continual added stress the OCD causes.

I did A level Psychology, and I remember reading that it only takes 3 life events for someone to become mentally ill or have a breakdown. And sometimes those events are supposed to be happy ones eg. go on holiday, get married, have a family member become ill or die = potential for mental health illness or stress related illness.

So please do not be so hard on yourself - perfectionist again!!

I am self employed, and I have a teenage son with autism and OCD. I have other things going on too, so although I cope quite well most days; I know that it does not take much to tip me over the edge on any particular day. For example, a minor incident can result in me blubbering like a baby. BUT I recognise the strain I am under on a daily basis and when these events happen I try to cut myself some slack, lessen the stress if possibe and look after myself.

Whatever we do in life does not have to become lifelong written in stone. Giving up part time work now does not mean you will never work again. It means that for now, you may need to concentrate on your studies alone.

Edited by Sally44
  • 2 weeks later...