Beneficial Distractions

To dovetail in with my useful thread on easing down rumination, here is another one with some distractions.

I think we should bear in mind that the overall message coming from the rumination thread is that the best stopping runmiantion method is to get refocused into dong what you would normally do.

I agree with that, and it certainly bnenefited me in my working environment when I could apply work plus mindful travelling and walking.

But I need something more powerful now, and something that won't run the risk of becoming a compulsive ritual.

So here are some ideas I use.

Watching TV

Writing

Puzzles and quizzes

Doing DIY

Photography - in the field and on the computer

Astronomy

Occasional trips into the arcade and enjoying getting in a winning position .

Going out for meals

Gardening

Cooking

House clearance and dump runs

Gym

Edited by taurean

Well as you are in berkshire in the summer a day out at the railway museum at Didcot would be a good distraction.

Or a little run out to Amersham on market day with lunch in the pub.

Farther afield I love Buckingham - it's a sweet little place with a nice little mini-shopping mall .

I am a man well-travelled in England Wales and Scotland. Business took me all over anyway, but holidays have been fun.

Ayelsbury is ok.Tthere is the massive building in the middle which is not nice, but i used to use the cafe in Tesco as a stopping point on the drive to Mum-in law.

Edited by taurean

There are a lot of things that i could and would like to do Roy,but doing those things are so stressful at the moment,because of my OCD,although i havn't given up trying!

Yep - the prize would ultimately be to go.

I am so so pleased that, like Tricia , you are giving the therapy and meds another go.

As those who have recovered, and the wonderful Caramoole say, there is always a chance that some thing however small may suddenly make a real difference.

Edited by taurean