Abstract obsessions

Hello all!

Although I have previously had obsessions which caused me to panic a lot, I currently seem to be being bugged by really abstract ones that don't so much cause me to panic as get on my nerves as they are always there. Do you reckon it's better to try and understand these or just try and ignore them (they tend to be pseudo-philosophical). What's irritating is that I'm not really sure why I find them of concern, it's like I'll just see or read something that will set it off, and then I can't figure out why it bugs me.

To give an example, I play computer games (though not to excess :-) ) and a few months ago I was looking at the fabric on the clothes my character was wearing, and started thinking about objective vs subjective properties of the clothing. I was thinking about how the clothes that looked battered looked cooler than the pristine ones, and then suddenly got rather bugged by that thought, and whether there is a perfect level of 'batteredness' something can have. I then have been on-and-off bothered for the last few months about what the perfect material to 'make battered' would be, and what level of batteredness is desirable, e.g. material being faded/ rubbed is tolerable, but badly torn isn't. Also, if batteredness is desirable, whether the material has to be 'objectively' battered, i.e. have lost some atoms etc. to wear and tear, or whether it can just 'look' battered.
I'm really perplexed by this, because for a lot of the stuff I've been obsessed by, I could see the logic of it, but with this I don't really get it? It's like my brain is just trying to conjure up anything to pre-occupy my mind. Before anyone thinks this is just some camp over-obsession with fabrics, it's not something I get any joy out of, it's just weird questions that are always there.
I'm not really expecting any kind of answer to this (I can't even formulate a question), but was wondering what everyone thinks?
Cheers,

Also, and this post might make more sense than the last one, I seem to have gotten into a trend of 'obsessing about obsessing'. I got really caught up in trying to figure out the logic behind my obsessions - why my brain seems to get so caught up in seemingly pointless things. The best conclusion I can come to is that I fear purposelessness, and so I try to find meaning in really unusual places. However, perhaps as a fear that I haven't really 'figured out the reasoning', I now keep trying to go over all of my previous obsessions to prove to myself that what they were about was a search for meaning / trying to avoid purposelessness. (I can at least see the irony in that - obsessively trying to make sense of obsessions, that I believe to be based around trying to make sense of things(!) )

I seem to have given myself a new fear that my obsessions are totally unique to me and completely meaningless, and that for that reason I'll never be able to explain them. My brain seems to be fixated on a fear that there was never any meaning to any of it!

Anyway, anyone got any comments or ideas about this?

Hi, Im Brazilian and I dont know english very well (I'm having to use google translation :/ )

So, I identified a lot with you said. Im fixed about

brain and arise a lot of doubts about this. The doubts are very strange :(

I have obssession about obssession too, it is terrible, i feel very confuse and I feel I am not having control over me.

Sorry for the english.

Edited by Cláudio

Hi, Im Brazilian and I dont know english very well (I'm having to use google translation :/ )

So, I identified a lot with you said. Im fixed about

brain and arise a lot of doubts about this. The doubts are very strange :(

I have obssession about obssession too, it is terrible, i feel very confuse and I feel I am not having control over me.

Sorry for the english.

Claudio, fear of losing control (of your thoughts or whatever) and doubt are two of the most methods ways that OCD causes us distress.