Hey Everyone

Guest santoslgd

Guest santoslgd

This is my first time on here. I am currently engaged to be married to a beautiful woman, the love of my life, who has OCD (Contamination) and has been a blessing in my life.

I have read a bit about OCD and I want to be there for her as best I can and support her throughout life. She is amazing and deserves nothing less from the silly guy she let into her life.

If anyone has any advice, links, books, thoughts, or anything that may help me become a better fiance (and soon, husband) for her please send it my way. It would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

Lucky

Guest Plex

Hi there and welcome :) Congratulations on your engagement! I'm afraid I can't recommend any books or anything, but I'm sure others here can. Is your fiancee currently undergoing any therapy?

Guest santoslgd

Thanks For The Welcome. Sorry For Caps, Phone Is Weird.

She Is Not Going Yet But We Are Just Starting To Look At Licensed CBT Therapists In Our Area And I Think She Just Found One She Likes. We Will Probably Be Checking The Therapist Out Soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sisyphus

Good on you man.

My advice is to look on this as a journey and not a destination - i.e. no silver bullet, no cure as such, but maybe together you can find ways to mitigate her symptoms, maybe even significantly. But it's all big maybes, there's a huge diversity in severity and symptoms. Some people seem to respond well to therapy/meds, others ... not so much. For some it takes multiple tries. And some people seem to live with it all their lives and therapy and meds don't seem to help much.

A good book I read is Brain Lock. At the very least it gives you a good background on the disorder and how the author perceives it to work in the brain, as well as real life examples of sufferers and how some improved with treatment. I was also strongly recommended a book called Break Free from OCD but I've not read it yet. But you'll find those 2 books recommended a lot on this website.

Some say regular meditation helps. I've dipped in and out of it but lacked the discipline to do it enough to comment I'm afraid.

Oh and FWIW, a while back I came to believe that taking a psychedellic drug called ayahuasca might help with my problem(before I even knew I had OCD), and I really believed it could, but no dice. Didn't make a dent in it and turned out to be a rough experience at times - I have a feeling it doesn't jive so well with OCD, but that's just an uncorroborated theory. For all I know others may have had success with it.

And beware snake oil salesmen in general claiming to have magic cures in exchange for a sum of money.

The only things commonly recognised to have the potential to help reduce OCD symptoms are CBT/ERP, *possibly* in conjunction with temporary medication(SSRIs and possibly anti-psychotics).

That's about all I can think of that might be useful.

Good luck buddy, and all the best to you both,

David.

Edited by Sisyphus