Hello All

Guest Moomin mamma

Guest Moomin mamma

Just introducing myself to this forum and finding my feet. I'm a parent to a young person with mental health issues and, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that OCD is his main diagnosis. Neither are the professionals! However, I do feel that it is a strong component and many of his problems have an OCD feel to them.

I'll use separate posts for my thoughts and queries as just want to use this one to say I'm here and state my interests broadly as mental illness within families, the role of the carer, possible treatments and ways of supporting someone.

Guest Sisyphus

Just introducing myself to this forum and finding my feet. I'm a parent to a young person with mental health issues and, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that OCD is his main diagnosis. Neither are the professionals! However, I do feel that it is a strong component and many of his problems have an OCD feel to them.

I'll use separate posts for my thoughts and queries as just want to use this one to say I'm here and state my interests broadly as mental illness within families, the role of the carer, possible treatments and ways of supporting someone.

Welcome Moomin Mamma(great name!)

I hope you can find better insight into the disorder here and share your experiences with other carers and sufferers. Also the search facility on the top right allows you to search through past posts using key words(click on "this topic" first and change it to "forums"). So you could search for "carer" or something and see what it brings back.

All the best,

David.

Guest Moomin mamma

Many thanks. I'll have a bit of a browse and see whether I can piece things together a bit more. Really confused as, as you'll see by my other posts, my son's symptoms seem to straddle diagnoses.

Guest Sisyphus
Moomin mamma, on 20 Jul 2014 - 4:25 PM, said:Moomin mamma, on 20 Jul 2014 - 4:25 PM, said:Moomin mamma, on 20 Jul 2014 - 4:25 PM, said:

Many thanks. I'll have a bit of a browse and see whether I can piece things together a bit more. Really confused as, as you'll see by my other posts, my son's symptoms seem to straddle diagnoses.

Yes, it sounds like a phenomenon requiring somebody with a knowledge of the subtleties of both disorders. I mean if you've got any more questions about OCD, fire away, but I would be hesitatnt to comment on the psychosis aspect as I've no experience of that one.

It's frustrating from your point of view because you have the drive to get the problem resolved but you're having to rely on other people's knowledge and expertise who are not invested in the situation. I imagine you just want to kick everyone up the backside and show them how important and urgent it is to you rather than just another case.

How is he doing anyway, your son?

Edited by Sisyphus
Guest Moomin mamma

He's quite withdrawn and poorly. Looks miserable and unwell and uses all his energy to counter what seems to be an invisible enemy. Meanwhile most lads his age are going out with their mates, attending college, forming relationships...

Guest Sisyphus

He's lost his spark? I remember someone saying that about me when my OCD went into overdrive some years back.

Not nice to see. But it's really good you're involved and trying to help him. No-one bothered with me, and when I tried to help myself, a surprising air of judegment and condemnation. Support is everything, as Dolly Parton would say.