I have issues with time!

Guest messihead

Guest messihead

I don't know if anyone else on the forum has this. However if any of you do please comment. I have issues with time. I feel like I've done stuff I wouldn't want to do, this happens when I am not fully in control, like under the influence of alcohol or sleeping. I have this relatively new obsession that I have done bad stuff or stuff which I don't want to in my sleep... This leads to the horror of obsessive compulsions of time checking. For example if I fear I've done something when I wake up I try to remember the time I went to sleep, times I woke up during the night, ask my partner wot time he went to sleep if I was sleeping before him.

He can answer yes, yes I was, but this isn't enough. I have to keep asking him and then we argue.

Also dates, dates I've had night outs been drinking, I go back and check those dates check phone logs of calls texts I've made to make sure I've not phoned or text anyone at inappropriate times that could indicate any wrong doing of myself. I ruminate on nights I've been out times I went here/there was there a time I could have done wrong doing.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Hi messi

This is exactly what I done regarding my false memory/intrusive thought. Proper went over every minute as best i could, checked my phone and continuously asked people to confirm things for me. Now I don't normally do that kind of thing when drinking but for some reason I felt panicked and perhaps was a bit more drunk than usual.

I really wish I hadn't done all the checking because I think it made things much worse. Easier said than done I know. I just know that as you said above that it still doesn't make you feel any more clearer. I would feel better for a short while before I felt even more doubtful!

I hope you feel better soon and can recognise the ocd at play. Your having a baby aren't you? Or am I getting you mixed up with someone else lol? x

Aww I know and can totally sympathise with you. Im trying hard to implement some of the advice the guys such as taurean and polarbear have given. Take a look at my posts or their threads. x

Messihead, you've raised this situation before.

Your actions are compulsions. I'm referring to checking the time, asking your partner when he went to bed, checking dates, phone logs, etc.

You feel an urge to perform the compulsions and they may even bring you temporary relief for a while, but you end up right back at square one again, doubting and obsessing over a certain time period. Compulsions only serve to reinforce the obsession and make it stronger in the future.

The way forward for you us to begin resisting the urge to perform those compulsions. Eventually you need to stop doing them. You can start by simply delaying how fast you perform the compulsions and then slowly increasing the time period between obsesdion and compulsion.

Also, your partner should absolutely not be participating in your compulsions. If you ask what time he went to bed, he should say, "I'm not going to answer that question."