Self Regulation Therapy

Guest trappedbythoughts

Guest trappedbythoughts

Hello all!

My psychologist left and I've been handed over to a CPN. Previously we (my psychologist and I) started a course of CBT but we didn't get very far due to overlapping problems. Now, my CPN is suggesting we try 'Self Regulation Therapy'? Has anyone tried this or even heard of it? I can't find too much information about it and I was wondering what your opinions were?!

I am diagnosed with GAD, OCD, social anxiety and depression - if that helps.

Many thanks!

From what I've read, I don't see much good coming from it, personally. A lot of the articles I've read say it's about changing the way we see our threats based around how we react to them (fight or flight response). I'm not sure how it works, but if you're not being offered CBT, I'd leave and seek treatment elsewhere. SRT is not recommended enough for me to give it my backing and it could so easily set you backn with your recovery.

Hope this helps.

FoosBoo88 x

CBT is the therapy that this charity recommends for OCD and I from personal experience found that to be right.

The CBT therapist still however needs to be experienced in treating OCD, because CBT is used for other types of anxiety disorder also, and they need other types of approach than OCD requires.

So, for me, its CBT by a therapist experienced in using it to treat OCD patients.

I've never heard of Self Regulation Therapy personally.

Purely out of interest, could someone briefly describe what it is and envolves.

Thanks!!!

OCDAY, from what I could grasp it involves taking the feared thing and telling ourselves to believe something else. I may be wrong, but it seemed a bit like fighting a dragon with a broom handle to me.

Seems confusing how that would help with OCD.

Foos - The dragon scenario could of been a nightmare. What if the dragon breathed fire on your broom handle, then you would be really screwed, haha!!!!!!!

Seems confusing how that would help with OCD.

Foos - The dragon scenario could of been a nightmare. What if the dragon breathed fire on your broom handle, then you would be really screwed, haha!!!!!!!

Hi OCDAY

A person trained in CBT including experience in OCD should be able to treat OCD, general anxiety disorder, depression and social anxiety - all trapped's stated anxiety and mental health problems.

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

I totally agree they should be able to treat all. I hid my OCD for many years, when I finally seeked help for OCD my first CBT therapist refused to treat me due to my OCD (I was referred for OCD). She said she was a CBT Therapist for just GAD!!!! I took this hard (was I that ill, that a CBT Therapist deemed they could not treat me). This was 18 months ago and now I have an amazing medical team, so was maybe for the best!!!!