Not sure if this would be giving in....

Guest RiHa

My partner has said that he would like to try for a baby, but what with my fear of being a paedophile as well as sometimes thinking he is, I honestly don't know if I would be able to cope. I have this extreme fear that when I am half asleep I would end up reacting to one of my thoughts, as I have had these fears before when my niece shared my bed with me. It got me thinking that maybe if we were to have a baby, that I had the idea that I should install cameras in the house just to make sure I am not doing anything. Even though I know I wouldn't do anything, I still get this really strong doubt that I will do something whilst half asleep and not quite knowing what I would do. But I don't know if I installed the cameras would that be giving in to my OCD? x

Even though I know I wouldn't do anything

You've said it all there.....so why the compulsions?

It's putting these measures in place, carrying out compulsions that is keeping the problem strong.

Where are you at treatment wise? Are you getting any help?

From one who didn't have a family because of OCD (it was long before diagnosis or when I knew anything about OCD) I would say if you want children, do it.

That said, if you and your partner do want children, what about taking a bit of time to try and get some effective support, give it your best at implementing the techniques as best you can (with a goal in mind) and see if you can get yourself in a good place so that you're ready to cope

Caramoole :)