pocd is definately the worst type!!

Guest ocdfight

Guest ocdfight

hi all, im new here and thought i would just post to tell give u all abit of positive story to maybe give you abit of hope.

i have always had ocd since i was about 8yrs old, it started with having shoes lined up perfectly, switching lights on/off/on/off, tightening taps and checking the cooker was off so i wouldnt die in a house fire. i have even had a fear of numbers had to do things a certain number of times, or something bad would happen. but 4 months after i had my babygirl, i started getting horrible thoughts about her, and i was so distraught and discusted that i was thinking such horrible terrible things. i was in complete state for about 2weeks straight, felt sick to my stomach, couldnt g near my baby, didnt wana change her nappy or bath her.. but deep down i just knew that i was not that type person!! so i got on the good old internet and found ocduk and another site, and i got to realise that i was not alone. i was so relieved that there was people out there with the same things as me. i was completely determined to get control and get over it bcos it was ruining my time with my daughter and that killed me! so i was gonna beat it. i went to the doctors and they have referred me to talk to someone, i have not been diagnosed with ocd officially but i know i am not what my mind was telling me. i took it into my head that it was ocd and all the tips and tricks u all have shared on here have helped me greatly and i really appreciate it, i am not 100% ocd free. i do not do any checking taps or cookers or switches, nothing that part of my ocd has gone! the thoughts and images in my head still come, but i just label it as my ocd and move on, i dont answer the thoughts anymore, i dont panic when i get the images, sometimes i laugh and say ''wow thats just insane u muppet'' and i have to say it has worked so well and i am really proud of myself for doing this solely on my own so far. i have had the doubts and all the questions and every twist and turn that ocd has to offer, everything everyone says i have had exactly the same and ocd has tryed to bring me down but i always remember, it is my mind, it is me emotionally attaching myself to these thoughts, i am not a sick person, i am a good person. i am just giving these thoughts too much attention and it is being fed because i fear it. and i know it seems like youll never get better but i just really wanted to let u all know that if u are strong in your mind and u do all the tips people have shared and what the professionals tell u, it will work but u have to do it right, you will panick and be scared at first but stick to it and u will get better!! hang in there people

xx

well done for sharing your success, and giving others hope very inspirational. and it does get easier and better if you adhere and listen, but it does

take a lot of efforts

did you have cbt yourself, and what did you do in the sessions:?

Guest ocdfight

it has been really hard, i have wanted to just kill myself a few times as i couldnt bare the thoughts i was having. thankyou :rolleyes: i did take alot out of me, and i do sometimes get the anxiety still but i just do what i have learned and also i found that the mindfulness really does work! i began doing it and it helped alot, i felt calmer and the thoughts came alot less, but then i stopped for about a week and the thoughts slowly crept back in! so i began doing it again and im fine now, so i just do some breathing exercises every night when i get into bed.. i havent had cbt yet, im waiting on the letter, so havent been diagnosed officially with ocd yet. do u know what is likely to happen on the first appointment?? are you completely ocd free now? xx

Guest Steve1983

I have POCD. I was recomended not to do mindfulness, the CBT therapist told me my depression was too bad. I am having a tough time getting help with POCD, because, unfortunatly, every therapist I have spoken to (about 4) have never heard of it. They all know what OCD is, but seem to think I dont have OCD if I am not performing multiple overt traits.

Good for you for beating it on your own. Well done.

Edited by Steve1983

I have POCD. I was recomended not to do mindfulness, the CBT therapist told me my depression was too bad. I am having a tough time getting help with POCD, because, unfortunatly, every therapist I have spoken to (about 4) have never heard of it. They all know what OCD is, but seem to think I dont have OCD if I am not performing multiple overt traits.

Good for you for beating it on your own. Well done.

Hi Steve,

At the risk of being pedantic, the reason that your therapists have not heard of POCD is because technically, there is no such thing. You need to remember that what you call POCD is actually OCD, it is not the P part that is the problem, it is the OCD that is the problem, the P part is just the 'flavour' which with OCD can change at any time. It is how we respond to the obsessive thoughts that is the problem and what needs addressing, rather than the flavour.

This is why I keep posting that we must stop referring to our OCD as POCD, ROCD, or HOCD because the moment we start seeking therapists that can help with those, we are missing the fact that the problem is the OCD, and a good CBT therapist that has a little understanding of OCD will be able to help. So seek someone with knowledge of OCD, not POCD because as you are finding out, very few therapists will have heard of POCD.

Hope that helps a little.

Ashley.

Guest Steve1983

My problem I feel is not so much them not knowing a title, but more that I am getting told maybe I have OCD traits at most because I have managed to stop the overt traits... when each day is actually a constant living nightmare having to deal with perpetual ruminating and intrisuve thoughts.

I agree definatly about the HOCD and ROCD, I had never thought about it in those terms with POCD as well. I suppose I could be given any label, I will always see myself as a bit of a fruit cake.

Guest ocdfight

aw well im sorry to hear that your not having much luck with cbt! maybe the mindfulness doesnt work with people who are also depressed, but have you ever gave it a try for a week? im not depressed maybe thats why it works well for me. dont get me wrong the thoughts still linger in the back of my mind and i almost bring them on myself by thinking about where its gone, and then it all comes back lol, but i just do what iv learnt so far. i think my main problem is that all my life i have worried about everything u could imagine and i think that bcause im so used to my anxiety, i search for things to worry about (subcontiously) and once the thoughts about my daughter happend they stuck like glue cos it scared the **** out of me. can anyone tell me to expect in the first cbt session? xxx

sorry to hear you are having a bsd time but i do not agree that our ocd is the worst. I think every type of ocd is as bad. I have contamination ocd and it has ruined my life but i would not say it was worse than anyone elses as i have not been through other types of ocd

Guest ocdfight

hello, i was just saying my oppinion, i have suffered from pretty much every type of ocd, and from my experiences this type has been the worst for me. it is painful when it is about your child and it affects your relationship with ur child, i meant for me emotionally it has by far been the worst xx

hello, i was just saying my oppinion, i have suffered from pretty much every type of ocd, and from my experiences this type has been the worst for me. it is painful when it is about your child and it affects your relationship with ur child, i meant for me emotionally it has by far been the worst xx

I think I should draw a line under this before it gets too heated. I have highlighted a key point in your post here, about the fact that for you it was the worst, where perhaps the thread title does not show this. So it is important we all remember this, we are all different so for each of us our OCD will impact on us in different ways, but it does not mean that one form of OCD is any worse for us, than another form is for another person.

There is no one form of OCD that is any worse than any other... for each of us it is our own personal battle and our own personal hell, regardless of the form the OCD takes.

Guest ocdfight

mhmm i totally agree ashley that everyones ocd is hell for them nd the worst for them, and i did not once say it is the worst compared to anyones ocd..so perhaps if people read my post properly they would undertstand that i meant out of all the ocd i have had, this one is the worst for ME. so i dont see why i have been attacked by joanne, nor do i feel i need to be felt like i am in the wrong cos of a post i made, to initally HELP and give some support for EVERY sufferer. xx

I got what you meant. OCD is OCD whatever the flavour. I too had many varients, which waxed and waned, but also likewise the peadophillic type were the worst for me.

Im sure that people could say the same, in the sense that contamination was the worst for them .. or religous type.... etc. / each is individual of the worse, because morals etc play a huge part.

The cloak colour maybe be different of the worse nature. BUT its the nasty ocd that makes it the worse for us, but its the same meat just different gravy

Guest Elle Belle

At the risk of being pedantic, the reason that your therapists have not heard of POCD is because technically, there is no such thing. .

I thought POCD meant 'Pure OCD'.

Hi Elle

It means Paedophile OCD I think I spelt that right and they say that Pure O is more mental OCD but like leggy says same meat different gravy its all the same its the individual and how they suffer that makes it feel different to them hun.

Tracy

x

Guest Steve1983

I thought POCD meant 'Pure OCD'.

yes...I thought that is what it was too...ive just realised that...I have no peadophile OCD... i wondered why I was told it didn't exist. I thought that you can distinguish between Ocd and Pocd (ocd without overt traits). Of course peadophile ocd and homosexual ocd do not exist, they are just all manifestations of OCD. From my understanding, a distinction is made between OCD and OCD without overt traits....although they are clearly linked.

Edited by Steve1983

Simple answer. DONT USE ACRONYMS. Also id say that in my opinion .... for what it is worth ... is that "pure" ocd is another loose term , because which

ever way you look at ocd, its an obsessional unwanted thought(s)that make the sufferer carry out compulsions to try and rid themselves of them.

And its the compulsion that keep YOU trapped. .and look at what actions you are carrying out because of the thoughts.

I laughed out loud at Steve's comment. Not super loud but still audible.

OCD uses whatever is around you or your beliefs. If you dont like making a mess-it uses that. if you have children-its pedophilia. Married--infidelity. Cats and dogs--torturing them. What I also find is that even though my OCD is not as bad as it was a year ago, when I am having a bad time with it-even if its nowhere near as bad as it was, at that moment it doesnt matter-it might as well be the worst thing I ever experienced. The mind makes it feel that way.

I do get confused by the acronyms though. COCD

Confusion OCD.

Edited by Kelg
Guest Claire A

Hi all,

Nobody has mentioned that mental OCD without the commonly known behaviour traits still has compulsive mental behaviours. Every time we ruminate, question why and deliberate about an OCD thought this is a compulsive reassurance behaviour that keeps the thoughts going. This is why there is no such thing as pure OCD is it not? Plus I now know that I have plenty of less obvious reassurance seeking compulsions as seemingly innocent as reading texts / emails over an unnecessary amount of times, an obsession with capital letters and correct punctuation in sentences. Repeating sentances in my head. Making lists in my notebook and lists in my head. Talking too much/over explaning things - mostly trying to justify or reaffirm my good intentions due to my subconscious concerns. Constant checking I have my belongings. Over use of the word 'sorry'. I used to think these less recognisable behaviours were just me because they are obviously not debilitating but fascinatingly if I try not to do them I become anxious and that's there defining OCD characteristic. Though my OCD is predominantly mental I do think all OCD has compulsions.

I agree Claire because some people use the term loosely where in fact in the most people do have outward compulsions with out recognising them

Eg reassurance seeking researching Internet

I'd say that in the most all people with OCD carry out compulsions

Legend

That was a good point Claire-and yes I have done that with the word sorry. I dont understand the concept of Pure OCD either. Some of my ritual impulses are strictly mind based--I could be doing it as a type or laying in bed or walking around.