Perception is a strange phenomenon

Maybe this is the same issue as anorexic people have, or a similar one- the fact that those with body dysmorphia SEE that they look abnormal, too fat, deformed etc.

When I was a teen, I would constantly look at myself in a mirror in another mirror and line the mirrors up so I could see the reality of how I looked in profile. I thought I had a hooked nose, no distinction between my neck and chin, had huge hands and of course, looked fat. When I wasn't judging my looks, I would cover up the mirrors and actively avoid them.

My mum recently showed me some photos of myself as a teen and I finally saw the reality of myself. I looked gorgeous and none of the negative perceptions that I thought I had seen in myself all those years ago was true. If I had seen myself then the way I view it now, I think I would have been much more confident. It just shows you how powerful the mind can be when the disorder has such a grip on it that you actually see things differently.

I wonder how I will view my present image of today in 15yrs time?!

*checking mirrors and avoiding them are compulsions which need to be resisted and taking risks with looking imperfect and going out into the public are good ways to break the vicious circle of body dysmorphia

Edited by Orwell1984