'Have to' versus 'choice'

I'll probably get a swift kick in the butt for this topic but I think it's worthy of discussion.

I have heard on the forum, both in the past and recently, that certain people 'have to' perform their compulsions. I disagree. I think performing compulsions is a matter of choice, not having to do them.

Now I agree that the choice may not be easy to make and it may seem like there is no choice in the matter, but to me there is always a choice. There is a choice between doing the compulsion or putting up with the anxiety that would be caused by not performing the compulsion.

I think when people say they 'have to' perform a compulsion, it takes away the personal responsibility inherent in the decision and personal ability of the person to choose a different way. It stops the possibility that the person can become better.

Some people may see it as a choice but that the choice is obvious, that a compulsion must be done or else. But there is still a choice inherent.

I also think it is all about choice because people have consciously chosen to go against their OCD. One example is Ashley, founder of the charity, who chose to plunge his hand in a toilet and then not wash his hand like crazy after. I'm not sure I would be ready to make that choice and I don't suffer from contamination OCD. But Ashley did choose to do it. That to me shows evidence that people choose to perform compulsions.

What do you think?

Guest Liz whiz

I agree that it is a choice, but an extremely difficult one. I often spend time reassuring myself in my own head and that's a difficult one to stop because I find myself doing it without realising sometimes. I just have to try and catch myself and stop.

Other compulsions include confessing and googling (something which I have done just recently and made myself feel worse!) I just need to keep trying to make the right choice.

I think compulsing or not is a choice and as has already been said it is a really really hard one. The choice I try to make isn't whether to compulse or not but rather do I want to uphold ocds rules compulse and inevitably get more ill or do I want to try not compulsing and therefore move forward and have a little bit less stress each time.

I remind my family often when they see me not compulsing that although its a choice it is one huge accomplishment to change your behaviour when under so much stress. This is why I admire anyone who has or is facing there fears.

Edited by Gemma7