urges to hurt myself

Guest eden1616

Guest eden1616

i cant stop thinking about it and i have been hitting myself a lot today and i just really cant get it out of my head and i have been really depressed lately and i have tried to hurt myself before and everything is just i am so tired and i dont even know how to explain it and i am having urges to hurt other people too and i know a lot of this is ocd but i also know a fair bit of it is depression and i really dont know what to do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eden1616

I am seeing someone and they know about me hitting myself and cutting but i haven't told them it is getting worse or that i have currently been thinking about more serious things.

Guest eden1616

It is just that i find it very difficult to not hurt myself and sometimes i start doing it automatically. And i dont know how to tell my psych that I have been feeling like this. Because i try but i always say it wrong and they think i only mean the cutting and hitting myself not the other stuff.

Sorry to hear you are hurting yourself Eden, I think the first thing you must do next week is get an appointment with your therapist and tell them about hitting yourself. It is important we are honest with our therapist in order that they can help us.

Is it an involuntary action or when the urge strikes do you have some thinking time? if so, maybe when the urge strikes you can call a friend or do something to work at distraction from the urges?

Guest eden1616

I have told him i have hit myself before. And it is both sometimes i will think i want to hit myself and then other times i just start doing it and sometimes i dont even realise for a while. It is just that i have been having the urge to hurt myself in a more serious way lately.

Shouldnt have read this post today.

I really feel for you with the urges to self harm and your depression.

I too have same issues.

Out of the blue i get urges to self harm, coupled with a few negative comments thrown my way.

I end up hitting myself, then i feel that i havent hit myself hard enough.

Then while at a party tonight, i go to the bathroom and hit myself again.

How do we go from having a good week to a bad day with no warning?

Keep pressing on eden

Guest eden1616

Well I have only just woken up and I already feel terrible so it isn't off to a great start and I can't stop thinking about hurting myself and a number of other things but that would take a million years to explain.

Hi there Edy I'm very sorry to hear how you've been feeling hun, Can you please tell your Dr immediately how you've been feeling? I know it's very tough& understand it's not easy but it is absolutely important that you can please do this ok?.Even if you have to maybe write it down perhaps to tell them? Can I please help you at all in any way? I'd love to help you any way I possibly can :original: .

Guest eden1616

Thank you i cant tell anyone today as it is sunday but i will see tomorrow but i dont think there is anything they can do even if i do tell them there are not really any services for people my age where i live and it is complicated. But thank you.

What will hurting yourself accomplish?

I had strong urges to cut myself before Christmas & really wanted to do it, but I didn't because at the end of the day, I knew it would be detrimental to my recovery. After all, hurting myself would have been a false relief to an illusion created by my OCD, so why give it attention?

Guest eden1616

Well I actually feel better when I do it but that isn't even the kind I am thinking about and I don't mean hitting myself either not that anyone will read this because why would they bother. (I don't mean you symps)

Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

Hi Eden,

I agree with everyone, it's really important that you tell your Dr about this hun. I have not self harmed so i cannot give you any first hand advice on what can help. But i was wondering (and excuse me if this is way off the mark) could you try using a punch bag to take your frustration out on? Obviously i offer this as a short term measure - i hate to think of you or anyone harming themselves. What do you think would be most helpful for you right now? xx

Well I actually feel better when I do it but that isn't even the kind I am thinking about and I don't mean hitting myself either not that anyone will read this because why would they bother. (I don't mean you symps)

What kind are you talking about then Eden?

Guest eden1616

My ocd doesn't want me to say ugh i hate this cause i try but i cant explain it to my psychologist and then he just thinks oh you are still slef harming then but i dont know how to explain it cause i cant use certain words but they are the only ones that make sense. ?

My ocd doesn't want me to say ugh i hate this cause i try but i cant explain it to my psychologist and then he just thinks oh you are still slef harming then but i dont know how to explain it cause i cant use certain words but they are the only ones that make sense.

Have you tried writing it down?

Is it a kind of punishment?

Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

What type of thoughts does your ocd send to you if you try to/think about using the words? Ocd rules by fear - so likely your ocd is sending some kind of fearful messages to you in relation to these certain words. When i first started explaining my harm thoughts the fear was that by talking about them it would then result in the harm being more likely to happen in reality. xx