Panic

Guest Heryn.

Guest Heryn.

Why do we suffer with this? What is the point?

Why does OCD bring up such things as we have never really thought of before?

I put my 'usual search engine' (hint: begins with G) on block in my usual browser, and it has prevented me from performing that compulsion to a certain extent. But what's so disturbing is this intrusive insistence by my brain. It's almost like leaving the house and suddenly remembering you need to post a letter, or something; but of course never as benign as that. Stop what you're doing! Did you realise...?

Horrible.

Thanks for reading; I just wanted to distract my brain for a few minutes.

Edited by Heryn.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, sometimes it helps to step back and laugh at OCD (a clinical psychologist advised me to do this once) - because the things it tries to make us do can be so ridiculous and pointless. If we can laugh at OCD it can sometimes reduce its power.

Guest Heryn.

Thanks for your reply, Lizzy.

Tonight I have compulsions on top of compulsions, but maybe in a few years' time I'll be able to laugh at all of it.

I know what you mean, I had compulsions on top of compulsions too. Regarding laughing at it I mean it can help as a coping strategy whilst you're still fighting it, but on the other hand I know that's not always helpful or possible.

I remember once my OCD was focusing on HIV (among other things). I was unnecessarily washing myself to make sure there was no blood on me so I couldn't transmit HIV to anyone, and then I stopped and thought "but I don't have HIV". Sometimes you can get a moment of clarity against OCD, and ideally when you have successful treatment those moments get more frequent and last longer.

Guest Heryn.

I know what you mean, I had compulsions on top of compulsions too. Regarding laughing at it I mean it can help as a coping strategy whilst you're still fighting it, but on the other hand I know that's not always helpful or possible.

I remember once my OCD was focusing on HIV (among other things). I was unnecessarily washing myself to make sure there was no blood on me so I couldn't transmit HIV to anyone, and then I stopped and thought "but I don't have HIV". Sometimes you can get a moment of clarity against OCD, and ideally when you have successful treatment those moments get more frequent and last longer.

Yes - very brief flashes of clarity or what feels like real memory - actual remembered memory - as opposed to the OCD false memory. There's also a sense that you can trust that real memory (because it is coming from your memories and not the OCD).

Yes - very brief flashes of clarity or what feels like real memory - actual remembered memory - as opposed to the OCD false memory. There's also a sense that you can trust that real memory (because it is coming from your memories and not the OCD).

You're right - we can't trust OCD, it's a liar.

• 3 weeks later...

I know its hard but don't put things on block, try to ignore the compulsion to search naturally, I get this, even a favourite actor or band or TV program I have to search until I know every cranny of their life or plot when I was happier not knowing, its something you have to resist.

Guest Heryn.

Thanks for your reply, Phili.

I actually took the block off last week. I was fiddling around with the Settings and there had been a number of problems with third-party cookies so I ended up resetting everything.

I don't particularly actively want to Google right now; it's just that things which I enjoy doing are not helping to take my mind off things.

Guest Heryn.

Honest to God, I can't deal with this. Worst period of checking I've had for a while. OCD is absolutely toxic.

Where can I go to get away from my own brain??

Hello there Heryn I'm very sorry to hear how you're feeling, do you take anything for your anxiety& and are you on any medication at all? Do you find anything at all that helps you when feeling like this? Sorry for the questions I just want to really help :original: .

Guest Heryn.

Hi Ace

I take 60mg Fluoxetine, which does help a lot .My GP has asked that I see them more regularly because of the recent problems I've been having with OCD. I will try and make an appointment this week.

Nice to see Heryn if it is helping you continue on I say& if you need to see your Doctor continue also on that because especially if it is all helpful you must keep doing that well done hon :original: .

Guest Heryn.

Not great this morning. What to do; go back to bed and have the panic hit me later, or keep busy and try to resist compulsions? What a choice. :rolleyes:

Hi Heryn,

I'm so sorry to hear how you're suffering. Whilst my OCD does not manifest itself like yours, I surely do know that breathless feeling of terror which feels like it's never going away.

I'm currently really trying to work the "4 Steps" approach and it is working. Have you tried that?

Love and support,

Gx.

Guest Heryn.

Hi Gerard

Thanks for your reply. I admit I have been a bit lazy in working on other techniques - for a while my medication has been sufficient to keep the OCD and anxiety at bay. I do know about Four Steps. I need to try harder; this week has been awful.

Hi Heryn,

I'm lazy too - so please don't feel bad about that! :original:

Yes do please give yourself the gift of exploring the 4 Steps. They WORK and I actually had the thought today, "Wow, whilst I am refocussing like this and doing something constructive I am literally re-wiring my brain!".

Who knows (and believe me I say this with caution), it might even get to the stage when I can be sort of grateful for my OCD terror-episodes because they'll give me the opportunity to re-wire my brain even further!

Sending you huge love and support,

Gx.

Hello there Heryn plkease try to relax&take it easy you're doing very try to ride through the tough times& say to yourself maybe& say I've been thr0ough this many times before&I've come through with it I know will get through it again :original: .

Guest Heryn.

Thanks for your reply, Ace.

You are right, of course, but I just feel like doing this right now. :bag:

Maybe something better to report later...

Guest Ando78

Hi guys I'm new to this. I suffer from OCD and Anxiety. Been going on for a while now. But feel it's time to start doing something about it. Every day I'm performing certain routines. Checking things continually. Thoughts going Round in my mind that if I don't do it something bad will happen. Any way wanted to say hi. It's nice you can talk to people who understand.

Guest Ando78

Hi guys I'm new to this. I suffer from OCD and Anxiety. Been going on for a while now. But feel it's time to start doing something about it. Every day I'm performing certain routines. Checking things continually. Thoughts going Round in my mind that if I don't do it something bad will happen. Any way wanted to say hi. It's nice you can talk to people who understand.