Is Mindfulness simply sitting through the thoughts?

Guest HeadAboveWater

Guest HeadAboveWater

I have purchased a book on Mindfulness and have yet to begin reading it, however, I was wondering... is it considered mindfulness if you just let the thoughts/urges/feelings/sensations do whatever, say whatever and linger around, without doing anything? Like, as if I am some kind of statue.... birds are pooping on me, rain is soaking my stone and people are throwing rocks at me, chipping away my structure and I'm just supposed to sit there in my statue state of non-reaction?

Is this how it works?

If I do this long enough - will the birds stop pooping on me, will the rain be replaced by sunshine and will those pestering people stop throwing rocks at my head?

Edited by HeadAboveWater

I use the Headspace mindfulness app. Mindfulness feels counter-intuitive to OCD, because you kind of let go of thoughts with it. You don't block them out, you just deflect them and let them float past.

I was sceptical at first. It sounded like hippy-drippy nonsense, but I have gradually got the hang of the mindfulness techniques. It is very much a real world, practical thing, which gives my mind respite from itself. It is also now a part of my CBT treatment, which is helping me to relabel thoughts and obsessions, to reduce their anxiety causing effects and to help me focus on my breathing.

It might not be right for everybody, but it is worth trying for a while at least.

Mindfulness is great - you don't just ignore/block whatever is around you though - you're supposed to notice it - so in your statue example, you notice the rain - it's raining, how does it feel? What does it look like? Then you move on. The key is to be non-judgemental, and to be in the present. So no 'great it's raining again, why do I always get caught in the rain, I'm going to get soaked and I'll probably end up with a cold'.

Mindfulness is being aware of what is going on and the feelings or sensations that go along with it.

In your example, birds are pooping, rain is falling, as are stones are being thrown.

I'd get out of the obvious stone throwing harm (blunt force injuries and I bruise easily). But birds pooping and raining soaking me might be tolerable.

The idea would be to sit and notice the sensations. So, they could be everything from the feeling on the soles of your feet on the floor to the chill of the rain on your head as it runs down your hair, along with the bird poop...

As PJM wrote, it sounded like hippy-drippy nonsense to me as well. But I found it helps, eventually. It was difficult to focus in the beginning. In the class I took it turned out nobody could focus the entire time.

Guest imalright

I thought it was just about 'living in the moment' - which really didn't appeal to me! Then...my psychotherapist went on a course and started coaching me in it. It's amazing stuff. It's quite a bit deeper than simply observing the here and now...there's a lot more to it :)))))x

It has helped me a great deal x

Guest lizinlondon

I love mindfulness but it is hard work. I never thought being aware of my thoughts without judging would be so difficult. It has helped me loads. Practise it everyday so you are ready when you need it.

One of the great things about it is how it can be done anywhere. I've done a 10 minute body scan on the train on my way to work. All anybody can see is I'm sitting in the seat. Free, very accessible, and very powerful.

I find mindfulness very helpful - but I can only do it when the mental chatter in my brain has gone (I suffer from repetitive "thought loops" in my OCD.

So when that is not kicking in, I use body scan and walking mindfulness, but also just "being", when, for example, sitting in the spa pool or steam room.

As PolarBear says, its all about just being in the present - seeing hearing smelling what is there in that moment. So yes, if there are intrusions, you leave them parked and ignore them and return to your mindful state, so its also a good distraction.

My new therapist is very positive about it, and asked if I have the book "Mindfulness a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world " by Mark Willams and Danny Penman, and she was pleased when I confirmed I had this book - a CD of mindfulness meditations is included with the book.