Hey guys.

I took a step back from the forum for a long time, I felt I was getting so much better. I got help from my GP to the point where they thought I was ready to do the rest on my own. It worked for a while... but im slipping back into bad habits. I'm obsessing over all the things I fought so hard to overcome.

Me and my partner have become distant because of it, I don't know if it's too much for him or if i'm paranoid. Im slipping back into someone I don't want to be.

Please help.

Leopard.

Hey Leopard, sorry to hear about your recent setbacks. Unfortunately with OCD these slips can happen, but you've shown that ability to take it on before, I'm sure you can do it again, especially as you get better and better at dealing with it. Keep in mind that you have two things working against you in your recovery right now. First is the OCD itself, second is the years of bad habits that we fall in to when we have OCD. It takes awhile to overcome bad habits, and when you've got a condition behind it? Even harder. So its ok to be frustrated and disappointed when things aren't going well, but try to have patience with yourself, you are taking on a tough problem and sometimes you might lose a fight or two, the important goal is to win the overall war, and you can do it!

Guest imalright

I love setbacks!! :))))

I look forward to them in a weird way because they're great opportunities to learn :)

So...when I've had one, I've analysed it and taken away learning points so that it wont happen again. It's all just part of the recovery process...IMO - I feel setbacks should be 'sold' as a positive rather than anything else on the journey of recovery.

I'd stop and observe what went on...what led to this one? What unhelpful behaviours did you do? What can you recognise as unhelpful? Once you've figured that out, you'll know what to watch out for again :) take that away and continue :))xx

Guest fiatver

Another great way of interpreting this is understanding recovery and relapse as a lifestyle. You recover when you adopt a new lifestyle, in which your values and not fear of uncertainty direct your actions. Slipping back basically means closing the door to uncertainty. Open the door to uncertainty, wide open!