Vivid false memory? Keeping this post short for easier reading - PLEASE HELP ME I need help before I go to bed, thank you.

Guest ocdsufferer1001

Guest ocdsufferer1001

Basically I had a really bad worry (POCD -intrusive thought and false memory) this morning and it stuck with me all day until I realised it was just OCD.

My problem is earlier this evening I left the house for a walk and I had to walk past some gardens. I was fine, thinking "you were worried sick almost all day from a silly worry so that shows you wouldn't do it". I carried on walking, started to get a bit wary so I kept repeating that statement to myself. Got a few worries, nothing big but niggled me a lot. Then I walked past one garden and thought "ugh I just don't care ugh may as well do it/just do it" and it felt so so vivid and real, like I actually "remembered" doing it after I walked away and now it's stuck in my brain and just feels real, especially as I felt my hand move oddly.

I've had the same problem before. POCD, different situation, really believed it, felt so real, I was distraught and it turned out nothing happened.

What I'm trying to say is, you wouldn't just suddenly change like that would you (considering I've been worried sick for the best part of today because of another OCD worry)? I spoke to my therapist last week before all this happened and she said that no matter how real or vivid or believable it is, it's all OCD because you would never act on it, especially as it's so upsetting and horrible to me (and all of us for that matter). She also said if I were to just randomly grab someone, they'd be like "oh!" or make a noise. (No noise was heard) So even though this feels so real and vivid and just uggh, it's just my OCD playing up?

Pleeaase help.

Guest ocdsufferer1001

I think I've also had worries before where I've thought "ugh don't care, I'm gonna do it / just do it" and it turned out nothing happened. However I can't be sure on that.

You're asking for reassurance and I'm not going to give it to you. You're also overthinking the situation, which is a compulsion. You need to resist that.

You need to let the thought be. Don't fight it. Don't try to rationalize it. Don't argue with it and don't play what if games with it. Let it be. Try to do something else to take your mind off it.

Edited by PolarBear