OCD Advice?

Guest italia128

Guest italia128

I posted about this before.....my brain is getting stuck on "to say or not to say"

I will get a thought, event simple thoughts to tell my mom or dad about a news story or something involving sports etc. Instantly my brain questions if it is OCD and I get anxiety....to say it...but if I don't say it I feel like i'm avoiding.

Once I say it, the anxiety subsides, but I feel like the problem isn't really the thoughts, but it is the obsessing over whether it's OCD or not? Typically anything you do to relieve anxiety is a compulsion, but I feel like my brain is just trying to get me stuck whether I say or not say.

Basically my brain is like: If you say it, it's a compulsion. If you don't say it, you're avoiding and not being yourself.

The most success I have had has been to allow the question of whether it is OCD to just be there, and go ahead and say the thought. I tell myself to follow true self. But I get stuck because my brain will be like....oh tell dad about this sports player who just got injured...then my brain is like...you need to tell him this, and I focus on it.

Thoughts?

Guest newsi

I cant really help on this one other than to say i have a similar thing. My brain says i have to say the thing in my head even if its pointless or boring to someone. I have to say it to an even number of people too

Simon

Hi Italia128

Hm that is a bit of a conundrum. My advice would be say it if it is something you would normally talk about with your mum and dad and keep on using your technique of ignoring the question is this OCD? Try and let that thought through but don't focus on it. If it's something that you wouldn't normally talk to your mum/dad about, try to avoid it because it could be a compulsion/seeking re-assurance. Does that make sense?