How true is this

Been doing research and people say cannabis reduces thoughts by 75% because it has a chill out relief therefore it calms you and u basically dont care. I havent touched it before and dont encourage anyone to do so. But has they been medical research about it? Has ive heard it cures some cancers and helps other mental disorders.

Like said this is only a discussion and because theres no cure yet. Anything up for debate and feel this should be at least discussed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest legend

Now classed as a class b drug and known to cause mental health problems

so no.

There is a cure for some , cbt and erp and ive been free 9 years and ive met others

Others who have cbt are able to lead great lives where ocd has hardly any impact on it

Edited by legend

Been doing research and people say cannabis reduces thoughts by 75% because it has a chill out relief therefore it calms you and u basically dont care. I havent touched it before and dont encourage anyone to do so. But has they been medical research about it? Has ive heard it cures some cancers and helps other mental disorders.

Like said this is only a discussion and because theres no cure yet. Anything up for debate and feel this should be at least discussed.

Cannabis is dangerous and if anything will make things worse in the long run. Think about it, anything that reduces thoughts is surely dangerous? We have thousands of thoughts daily, even with OCD most of our daily thoughts are normal thoughts.

Cannabis is dangerous, and does trigger more severe problems than just OCD a new report published this week highlights.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jul/16/cannabis-paranoia-psychoactive-thc-mood

Cure as in no obessions or rituals. My cbt nurse told me cbt is about letting go of rituals and not about thoughts. As people will always have there unwanted thoughts so if you have suffered from obessions i very much doubt your cured as thoughts will always be there.

Ashley the thing is you can go and say drink and smoking are dangerous. Cannabis gets a bad name because it cant be taxed. Nick clegg thinks it should be legalised as its not as 'dangerous' as everyone says. Thinks the word with dangerous with cannabis can be a little bit exaggerated to be fair with no disrespect ashley mate. Am just looking at hope for people like me who is tormented by thoughts all day and getting told thats thoughts will always be there then after cbt the nhs hardly cares about u.

Guest Sisyphus

I never smoked a lot of it but I used to find it occasionally had a bad effect, maybe because of OCD - interminable loop thinking, some paranoia. It certainly didn't seem to stop the OCD thoughts but what it did do was diable the thought mechanism to deal with them meaning I was trapped with these burning thoughts, trying to think them through, but unable to do so. Really awful feeling.

Now, someone told me that it all depends what you smoke and recommended something(indica?) but I don't know if there's anything to that or if it would make any difference to the scenario I just described. I won't be doing it any time soon anyway as I'm gunning for a drug-free solution if possible.

But please let us know if you do try it, and if it helpsor not.

Oh and I've not looked into it but I'm a little skeptical about the cannabis cancer cure thing. Seems too good to be true to my mind. I think people would've picked up on this way sooner. And I'm sure Terrence Mckenna was a big cannabis smoker but died of a brain tumour regardless. But maybe there's more to it though.

Hey - what about Bob Marley too!?!? That's gotta blow it out of the water surely.

Cure as in no obessions or rituals. My cbt nurse told me cbt is about letting go of rituals and not about thoughts. As people will always have there unwanted thoughts so if you have suffered from obessions i very much doubt your cured as thoughts will always be there.

You have been misled or have misinterpreted somewhere along the line. It is more than possible to severely reduce and/or eliminate obsessive thoughts. This is done through medications and/or therapy that eliminates compulsions.

Am just looking at hope for people like me who is tormented by thoughts all day and getting told thats thoughts will always be there then after cbt the nhs hardly cares about u.

Then find a new hope. Cannabis like Alcohol will lead to further problems if you self-medicate with it. There is hope to overcome OCD, it is through therapy, something that requires a daily, long term effort to implement desired changes.

An interesting discussion.

GG150 you make a valid point about no profit to be made from it.

In terms of curing or helping ocd I am not sure at all, in terms of curing or helping cancer I would certainly be open to this-but obviously that is a completely different illness. I have read many stories when hemp oil has been successful at treating cancer but it never makes the mainstream media.

Again for ocd I really wouldn't like to say, Iim sure cbt approach is the best for this x

Edited by Saz

I agree you don`t have to use cannabis to help your ocd you can overcome it with the proper therapy and hard work. I have ms too now and have been told to try it cos it will help me but I won`t I am having treatment for my ms and just like ms ocd can be beat without cannabis :original:

Cannabis is sort of a risky 50/50 shot, especially when you want to use it to cure a mental disorder for a prolonged period of time. One of my friends talked about how she used it once and experienced a bad state of mind while on it. Sometimes it can make you even more paranoid than usual, which with OCD isn't something you want more of. Also you can develop an addiction to it and if you are going to use it long term it can have damaging effects on your brain. When you use a bad substance for a long period of time, like alcohol, it can mess with the structure of your brain. Generally I think the cons are more than the pros for using this to treat OCD.

I think cbt and medication is a more safer and better alternative. There are more people who have achieved results and greatly minimized their compulsions and OCD thoughts to nothing or a more manageable percentage than those who try cannabis. Plus actually I met one guy online who said cannabis actually caused his OCD fear.

Guest legend

all humans have intrusive thoughts, people with ocd they become stuck and cause debiltitation

Mine longer get stuck , or make one want to carry out a compulsion , nor do i have pathological doubt and

crippling anxiety

cured ? who knows but id take that , than rather standing on a cliff contemplating suicide with my life ending

before my eyes due to the fears and thoughts i had

Guest legend

Ashley the thing is you can go and say drink and smoking are dangerous. Cannabis gets a bad name because it cant be taxed. Nick clegg thinks it should be legalised as its not as 'dangerous' as everyone says. Thinks the word with dangerous with cannabis can be a little bit exaggerated to be fair with no disrespect ashley mate. Am just looking at hope for people like me who is tormented by thoughts all day and getting told thats thoughts will always be there then after cbt the nhs hardly cares about u.

smoking cannabis or alcohol , then becomes another compulsion .

• 3 months later...

A lot of misinformation in this thread. This is one of the most promising drug therapies in research right now, along with LSD and psilocybin, which are proving much more effective than any of the currently licensed (and far more addictive - just look at the withdrawals people report) medications for anxiety and mood disorders.

Try Google Scholar as a starting point. It reduces inflammation in the brain, which is the holy grail of all mental health treatment at the moment. Everything that treats mental disorders and delays dementia onset, seems to do so in part by reducing inflammation.

Then find a new hope. Cannabis like Alcohol will lead to further problems if you self-medicate with it. There is hope to overcome OCD, it is through therapy, something that requires a daily, long term effort to implement desired changes.

No it won't. No one ever commits crime out of desperation to fund a cannabis habit. When was the last time you heard of someone going to rehab for cannabis addiction? Despite the fact that it's by far the most commonly used illegal substance in the UK? That's because it doesn't ruin your life any more than a tobacco addiction does, even if you do become addicted, which isn't as likely as it is with tobacco. It's certainly not like an alcohol addiction. Even comparing it to (most) tobacco products is unfair because they do terrible damage to the body and to unborn babies long-term. It's more like a caffeine addiction, if anything: no major damage to your life or your health (unless you contaminate it with tobacco). Just mild crankiness if you go without.

The lobbies opposed are the tobacco industry, the pharmaceutical industry and the private prison industry. All financial interests.

It's thanks to them that we're stuck with crappy SSRIs which take months to work when they work at all, make you fat and cause severe withdrawal symptoms. Oh yeah, and tobacco, we've always got tobacco for comfort. Because unlike cannabis, which as everyone knows is responsible for why schizophrenia has... not increased at all over the last few decades, a mere 90% of schizophrenics smoke tobacco! Correlation proves causation when the money says so, and at no other time.

Edited by anatta

I have taken huge ammounts of lsd,cannabis,speed,coke,es,and im quite concerned at pro drugs,i used to be.

Were all looking for escape,ocd or not.its true some people can smoke dope all their lives and live in lazy heaven,but I have witnessed freinds in prison,dead,or in special care,

It is not an option for ocd,we have fragile minds,dont forget if you get high its followed straight away by getting low

I have had phycosis from dope and was the worst ive ever been,you cant cloud over a problem,you have to deal with it patiently with a clear mind, time and love

It is not the awnser

Saying that, hemp is a great way to save cutting down trees

Guest Gale1982

Wow, haven't heard that speech since I was a stoner!!

Seriously anatta, you think that psychoactive drugs are a good treatment for mental health conditions? Care to site actual studies that prove it is a better form of treatment than current NHS approved drugs?

Edited by Gale1982

I have taken huge ammounts of lsd,cannabis,speed,coke,es,and im quite concerned at pro drugs,i used to be.

Were all looking for escape,ocd or not.its true some people can smoke dope all their lives and live in lazy heaven,but I have witnessed freinds in prison,dead,or in special care,

It is not an option for ocd,we have fragile minds,dont forget if you get high its followed straight away by getting low

I have had phycosis from dope and was the worst ive ever been,you cant cloud over a problem,you have to deal with it patiently with a clear mind, time and love

It is not the awnser

Saying that, hemp is a great way to save cutting down trees

Take an excessive dose of SSRIs and you'll likely have psychosis too. Even a prescribed dose will cause it in some people. Yet we don't say "never take SSRIs, because they might cause psychosis". We just say "take a controlled dose, prescribed by your doctor, and if it does cause psychosis, it's only temporary so just calm down". In fact, take a huge dose of SSRIs and you'll have life-threatening serotonin syndrome. There isn't a single confirmed case of anyone dying from a cannabis overdose, which has to be a HUGE plus when we're talking about medication for mental illness and people are using their medications to kill themselves.

Edited by anatta
Guest nervous

Yes, cannabis is a milder drug but it still is one, the point here is that all types of drugs and alcohol will hinder someone treating their mental health condition. It is true if you are looking for immediate although short term relief then there are many drugs that will fit the bill but this will only worsen the chances of getting the help someone needs. The goal with treating OCD is not to lessen the anxiety it is to live with it so you can develop coping skills so you are not ruled by it.

Wow, haven't heard that speech since I was a stoner!!

Seriously anatta, you think that psychoactive drugs are a good treatment for mental health conditions? Care to site actual studies that prove it is a better form of treatment than current NHS approved drugs?

You seriously think the NHS approved drugs are not psychoactive drugs?

You seriously think doctors in countries where it's legalised for medical purposes are prescribing it for anxiety and mood disorders because it's not a good treatment?

Yes, cannabis is a milder drug but it still is one, the point here is that all types of drugs and alcohol will hinder someone treating their mental health condition. It is true if you are looking for immediate although short term relief then there are many drugs that will fit the bill but this will only worsen the chances of getting the help someone needs. The goal with treating OCD is not to lessen the anxiety it is to live with it so you can develop coping skills so you are not ruled by it.

All types? So you're against SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOIs and tricyclic antidepressants?

Research suggests cannabis, as well as low controlled doses of LSD and psilocybin, help anxiety and depressive disorders in the long-term, not just the short-term.

Edited by anatta
Guest Gale1982

You seriously think the NHS approved drugs are not psychoactive drugs?

You seriously think doctors in countries where it's legalised for medical purposes are prescribing it for anxiety and mood disorders because it's not a good treatment?

This is what Professor David Nutt has to say... He actually did some research...

In case you don't bother reading it, he basically says that it can offer relief from symptoms in people who are actually suffering from serious mental health issues like schizophrenia. In other words, it may be effective for those suffering from psychosis but defiantly not for those experiencing neurosis.

Whilst someone is actually ‘stoned’, the principal psychoactive component of cannabis, THC, can sometimes have unwanted psychosis-like effects, such as anxiety and paranoid delusions. This is a reason that many people try the drug and don’t like it; but transient paranoia isn’t the same as schizophrenia. Persistent drug use of any kind may seriously complicate and worsen pre-existing mental health problems, and the use of cannabis seems able to exacerbate symptoms in a person with an illness like schizophrenia, or latent vulnerabilities.

On the other hand, the second key component in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), has powerful antipsychotic and anti-anxiety properties, so people with schizophrenia, or teens predisposed to psychotic symptoms may feel relief from consuming cannabis. Paradoxically, this self-medication is very likely to be counterproductive in the long-run because of the THC content, and so vulnerable young cannabis users should be given this explanation, and positive support to minimise or stop their use. The paradox of short-term relief versus long-term exacerbation shows the need for great sensitivity to the experiences of young cannabis users with mental health problems; they may not be being delusional and selfish by using the drug as the Mail implies, but simply doing what, in their experience, helps.

Edited by Gale1982

This is what Professor David Nutt has to say... He actually did some research...

In case you don't bother reading it, he basically says that it can offer relief from symptoms in people who are actually suffering from serious mental health issues like schizophrenia. In other words, it may be effective for those suffering from psychosis but defiantly not for those experiencing neurosis.

Whilst someone is actually ‘stoned’, the principal psychoactive component of cannabis, THC, can sometimes have unwanted psychosis-like effects, such as anxiety and paranoid delusions. This is a reason that many people try the drug and don’t like it; but transient paranoia isn’t the same as schizophrenia. Persistent drug use of any kind may seriously complicate and worsen pre-existing mental health problems, and the use of cannabis seems able to exacerbate symptoms in a person with an illness like schizophrenia, or latent vulnerabilities.

On the other hand, the second key component in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), has powerful antipsychotic and anti-anxiety properties, so people with schizophrenia, or teens predisposed to psychotic symptoms may feel relief from consuming cannabis. Paradoxically, this self-medication is very likely to be counterproductive in the long-run because of the THC content, and so vulnerable young cannabis users should be given this explanation, and positive support to minimise or stop their use. The paradox of short-term relief versus long-term exacerbation shows the need for great sensitivity to the experiences of young cannabis users with mental health problems; they may not be being delusional and selfish by using the drug as the Mail implies, but simply doing what, in their experience, helps.

You need to read that again. He's talking specifically about people with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, and why they use cannabis at a higher rate than average. He mentions that THC can make their psychosis worse in the long-term. Not their anxiety. The anxiety is helped by the CBD. I'm actually a huge fan of Professor Nutt and have watched many of his interviews and lectures. So I've already seen him explain that the reason schizophrenics continue to use cannabis despite it worsening their psychosis, is that it relieves their anxiety. Nothing here is new. This paragraph confirms what I've been saying: 1) cannabis relieves anxiety. 2) in people who don't have schizophrenia, psychosis is just a temporary effect of taking too much, and 3) in people who do have schizophrenia, increased cannabis use is an effect, and although it might exacerbate certain symptoms, is not the cause of the condition.

He also argues in favour of making it much easier than it currently is to study cannabis and other currently illegal drugs for the treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders, because he finds the research so promising, and even in favour of people using drugs just to make themselves more productive, empathetic, imaginative etc. when appropriate. "Smart drugs", psychedelics etc. Strange choice of source given your position.

Edited by anatta
Guest Gale1982

Right, you've now completely lost me...

Is this a rant about the media-perceived dangers of illegal drugs towards the general population or are you actually saying that its a good idea for people with OCD to smoke cannabis and induce temporary psychosis?

As I asked earlier, please direct us to the studies that have show that THC and CBD have a higher medicinal effect on people suffering with anxiety conditions than currently prescribed SSRI's?

Guest nervous

annatta, it is clear you are a big supporter of cannabis and that is fine, I live in canada and it is very close to be legal over here and in some states in the US it already is, we're not demonizing cannabis but this is an OCD forum so we are only concerned about how it applies to OCD.

If you want to compare it to pharmaceuticals as you already have, you could say that someone could take an anti-anxiety medication if they have ocd and that should help them but it wouldn't be recommended because it would make the person feel better but would not solve their overall problem. Not learning to deal with anxiety is how people got into this problem in the first place. This is why the belief that the best solution for ocd is CBT with ERP.