More proof that it is possible!

Hey guys, i have just read a very positive post from Vintagegirl about her recovery, and i wanted to carry on the positivity. Its a shame that there aren't more people that recover/make alot of progress that stick around - although i can totally see why people would just want to get as far away from anything to do with OCD as possible! But i think it's a big thing for sufferers to read stories that they can relate to of people that have recovered or made a massive amount of progress, it just proves that it is possible and everyone can do it.

I would say i am 95% recovered - OCD does not affect my life in any way anymore, it doesn't stop me doing things or going places, it doesn't interfere in my sleep or time i spend with my boyfriend anymore. After going on holiday for 11 nights with my boyfriend and having a lovely time, that was a massive breakthrough for me! I have suffered with 'harm' based thoughts such as fear of hurting a loved one, fear that i would stab someone, run someone over the list goes on! I know exactly what these thoughts are now and they don't bother me in the slightest, whenever i do get the odd thought pop up, i just remind myself that everyone get's these kind of weird stupid thoughts every now and again, and i know it is safe to just let them go and move on. I sometimes can't quite believe i can go about my day and actually think about normal things like what i'm going to have for dinner, or what i'm going to wear, how im going to do my makeup or hair - it's lovely, my mind feels so refreshed and like brand new!

I'll go through what i believe has helped me/advice that has helped towards recovery for me

- Meds (Citalopram) to take the edge off my anxiety (although i know plenty of people can do without them)

- Self help books, Brain Lock and Break Free from OCD in particular

- CBT (dont expect it to fix you over night, it takes time and work)

- Talking to you guys on the forum

- Changing my attitude towards OCD and recovering - if you decide you aren't going to live your life like this anymore you won't - it is YOUR decision and only you can make changes for the better.

- Don't expect the thoughts or compulsions to just disappear - it just causes disappointment because they won't - you need to be prepared for the thoughts and not let them shock you.

- Don't avoid ANYTHING - very important

- If it feels like OCD or if you are questioning whether it is OCD in any way shape or form - it IS OCD.

- finally, you are NOT your thoughts. Thoughts are just thoughts. No matter what their content.

Thank you and good day. :thumb up::p

Guest legend

Awesome and thanks for sharing M.

Ive seen you and Vg . come from rock bottom and out of the dreaded woods

Proof , yet again it can be done X