Hi there- New to this forum and nice to see I am not alone in this

Guest sgill

Hi everyone,

I have to say when I first searched on google to find a forum, and someone to talk to about my condition, I did not think there would be so many people that are going through the same thing as I am. Reading through some of the posts, and threads, it is quite clear that I share so many specific characteristics with you, even things I didn't think anyone would understand. It is good to know that all of you are here for support, and not only that you have advice and experience on what to do.

A little bit about myself.

I am a 23 year old female living in Canada. I am currently working full time in an office, with a great job in the non profit sector. I have moderate to severe OCD. If you see me in a public place, you won't notice I have OCD, but if you spend even a few hours, you will figure out something is wrong. I have been like this since probably around age 18, although I do recall certain OCD type things I use to do even as early as 8. I have no idea where my OCD has stemmed from, I had a great childhood, both my parents were and are amazing, and there was no incident that I can think of that would make me like this. I have gotten pretty bad from 18 to now, but as some of you have mentioned, once I create a routine, I stick to it and then am find until it is shifted, particularly with germs or daily routines. I have to emphasize that is is not just being a germaphobe, it is much much more than this such as having thoughts that something bad is going to happen if I don't do something/repeat something, etc.

Now that I am getting older and realizing that it is taking over my life, I finally admit that I need to do something about it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I have to have insightful discussions with you all.

I have faith in myself and all of you.

Thank you,

S. Gill

Hey SGill, welcome to the forums. Finding out you are not alone is definitely something great that places like this offer us sufferers. Not just because we don't feel alone in the things we fear but also the help and advice they can offer!

You mention that there is no incident that you can think of that made you like this, that you have good parents and a good childhood. While it's true that some people with OCD can link the beginning of their OCD symptoms to a specific incident, this is far from true of all sufferers. Though the exact cause of OCD isn't known, there is strong evidence to suggest that the root cause is biological, not psychological. In other words, OCD sufferers just happened to get unlucky in the genetic lottery. Now unlike some conditions where we can predict whether a person will get it based on specific genes, OCD seems to be more of a possibilty than a certainty. Like some people are born more likely to be susceptible to alcoholism or breast cancer. In other words getting OCD isn't a result of a bad upbringing, just bad luck.

Good luck or bad, now that you've recognized th OCD is a problem for you there are ways to get help and to start taking control back. I encourage you to check out the OCD-UK main site for more info on OCD and the common treatments and what to expect. We have a number of Canadian members here and I'm sure if you have questions about how to get access to the resources you need they can help! And of course feel free to jump in on the main forums and join in the conversations!

Edited by dksea

Hi SGill! Welcome to the forum! I can identify with having thoughts that something bad is going to happen if I don't do something/repeat something, etc. And I identify also with trying to hide ocd when out,official, but not be able too if people spend time with you more then some minutes/hours. I have server contemination ocd and other things. You are not alone having ocd. Welcome to join the forum! :original:

ailo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GAV1984

Hi i am new to this forum and i also suffer from having scary thoughts that something bad is going to happen if i dont do something in right order or perform rituals to overcome my compulsive intrusive thoughts, it horrendous and i know exactly what thats like! Glad others know what its like (although obviously i wish none of us had it as i wouldnt wish ocd on my worse enemy)