New to forum Help

Guest China Doll

Guest China Doll

I am suffering very bad at the minute with wanting to kill myself or kill someone have been like this for many years on and off never had any help from GPs as they don't seen to understand and have suffered with this I only found out last week that I have got OCD as looked it up online can anyone please help me my husband does try his best and always has but I feel like I am the only person who feels like this and so alone I have not had an attack like this in 2 years but now it seems even harder to come to terms with it can any body please help me Thankyou so much

Hi China Doll,

Welcome to the forum.

Your GP may not be fully aware of what OCD is all about, generally OCD is treated by aid of a CBT therapist.

Book an appointment with them, explain how you feel & that you expect it's OCD, ask them if you can be referred to your local mental health service.

Once there, be as honest with them as possible, they'll have heard it all before & it will give them the best idea on how to structure your therapy.

In the meantime, I would recommend reading up on OCD here on the OCD UK website, as it'll give you a better understanding of the condition, & as you've already joined the forum, get involved & see how other people are dealing with OCD.

Regards

Symps :original:

I just wanted to also say hi and welcome you China to OCD-UK, I'm glad you've found us and hopefully we'll be able to help :original:

I agree with Symps, I think it would be a good idea to have a chat with your GP or maybe another in the practice for a referral and diagnosis.....it's very important to be honest with them about the nature of the thoughts and get the right support to help with what you're going through.

We're a friendly old bunch over on the main Support Forum, feel free to check it out and if you'd like to, go into more detail about how you're feeling........OCD can make us feel isolated, but you're definitely not alone.

Hal :original:

Guest China Doll

Thank you so much for your kind welcome and kind words of help I am going GP this week and will talk to him about it but I will be trying a herbal remedy tomorrow as I Believe in them to try first to try and pick me up from this hell at the moment but again thank you for your advice china

Guest China Doll

Hi the fears I suffer with is stabbing my husband kids or myself have had this now for well over 20 years but when I have not had such a bad attack for just over 2 years now then to all of a sudden to get it so bad it's very hard to copy again the same old thing and it's hard to copy it feels like I am so sorry if it's something you have not heard of before but I did look it up on goggle and it comes out at OCD China

I am so sorry if it's something you have not heard of before

That comment made me smile :)

You'll be relieved to hear that this is a very, very common form of OCD. It was in fact my first personal experience of OCD 40 years ago....and everyone is still quite safe ;)

When you see your GP it would be very helpful for you to talk to him about a referral for CBT, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which is the most useful form of treatment. Some people do use medication, others don't it's a personal choice really but I strongly recommend asking for a referral.

If you've lived with this fear alone for so long and only just found out that it could be OCD I would really recommend reading as much as you can on the subject. there are some excellent books available and a great deal of information that you can find on our main website here http://www.ocduk.org

When these thoughts and feelings arise how have you dealt with them before/now? Do you find you avoid things/people, hide knives away, ask people for reassurance, insist on having someone with you?

We usually carry out behaviours called compulsions that we use to bring anxiety down but which are actually making the problem worse.

Caramoole

Guest China Doll

Caramoole Thank you so much I no now I am not the only one who feels the way I do with my OCD and yes I do all the things U said about knifes ect I cannot sleep and eat but as I am due to see my GP this week I will now ask him about what u said and hopefully will get help did it really help you and how are you today with it China x

did it really help you

Truthfully....there wasn't any such help available back then. I suffered in ignorance and alone for 20 years. Since then mine has been self-help from information found in books, on the internet. Today I happily leave a meat cleaver or carving knife on the worktop :)

If you think about it the hiding knives is so irrational anyway.....we're the ones who hid them, we know where they are... so it's a bit pointless, putting a knife to the back of a drawer isn't very effective.

If you think back to the very first time you can remember this happening you were probably suffering from stress or anxiety I would guess....feeling as if you were going mad and losing control. That's when our own safety mechanism becomes an enemy because faster than you can acknowledge the thought or recognise it the process usually goes along these lines

I feel so anxious I'm going to go mad ->

What if I go mad & lose control ->

How would I lose control ->

What if I lost it and stabbed someone :crybaby:

And the intrusive thought is born....Once you've had that thought it frightens you even more that you've actually had it. You try to push it away (worst thing to do), you don't understand, it frightens you, you try to go over it in your head and can't get rid of the thought.

All that has happened is that your brain has scanned your home for dangers as to what could happen if this anxiety went any further and you lost control....the only thing it can see/think of in most domestic homes are sharp knives and so it makes a connection "What if I lost control and stabbed someone"

It's all just a normal thought process and response to anxiety....then it goes hideously wrong because we become so afraid, we take avoidance measures, we do compulsions and everything becomes completely obsessive and takes over.

Once you know what's wrong and what you're doing wrong, you can begin to put things right. It's still challenging and scary but with understanding and determination you can take back control.

Are you ready to take your life back? You can start today. Everyone on the forum are here to help and support. You might get an ear bashing sometimes, we're a tough bunch who can call the shots because we've all been there and know what's going on, what works and what hinders.

Welcome aboard

Caramoole :)

Guest China Doll

Caramoole it is so true to what you have said but I said about stabbing myself not me but just others mine is walking out in front of a car that's my fear sorry am not thinking straight at the minute just one thing after another I came on the forum as it says you can phone I would just love to talk to say maybe you as you no how I feel and it I thought might help as I find it hard to get on this site sometimes as I am only on my phone but the not being able to sleep with it or eat and my body just shakes and tremors all the time while I sm like it China x

Guest China Doll

Caramoole thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to tell me about yourself and I am not the only one with these feeling I will look up all about it and I will if ok with you talk to you tomorrow if you are around as I am going to try soon and get some sleep China x

Hi China, I see that Caramoole is doing her usual great job of offering advice, but I just wanted to hop in and say I too have experienced some of these same fears, of losing control and stabbing myself, or swerving into oncoming traffic, or some such. When it first happened it terrified me so much because hurting myself was the last thing I wanted to do. I hope you can see your doctor soon and get started on getting better!

Guest China Doll

Thank you so much dksea for your input too I no it might sound mad but it's nice to no I am not the only one who has the same thing as me and hopefully my GP can help in some way I will let u and caramoole no how I got on as due to cut backs our GPs just give us a Mind Card and tell us to do it ourselfs which as you can imagine is not what we need China

Guest China Doll

Caramoole I have been to see my GP what a load of rubbish was he asking me are you sure you won't do it and do you hear voices too before going to see the GP I was starting to feel a lot better in myself and could seem to copy but now since I have seen that Horrible GP he has made all my thoughts come back again and now I am back to square one all he did for me was give me a telephone number for an organisation called MIND which helps with OCD Depression Stress ect I have rung them and I have to wait for a pack to be sent to me then fill in and send back to them then wait for an appointment to see them once I have been assessed I can then maybe get help like CBT but I think I will have to wait for quite a few weeks before I hear from them just hate feeling like this again cause a GP don't understand all he said was too oh do you wash your hands all the time or tap all the time he is an idiot and I can do without him from now on China

Hi China Doll

Sorry it wasn't a good experience.

Firstly, in his defense....doctors do have to take a history so that they can be clear that the patient isn't a danger to themselves or others or so that they can identify/reject other types of mental illness. Although it's not comfortable for us, it is reasonable that those questions are asked so that they can establish the situation properly.

After saying that I now want to Screeeeeeaaaam :crybaby:

Sadly there are still a number of GP's who are absolutely clueless when it comes to knowing anything about OCD unless it's the very common, publicised behaviours like hand-washing, checking etc. He sounds to fit into that category.

He does have a duty under the NICE Guidelines to offer you specific help.

It may be worth ringing the surgery (not even necessarily giving your name) but ringing with a general enquiry to ask if there's anyone in the practice that deals with/is good with mental health problems and then making another appointment with them.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find you some information to go armed with to support what you're saying.

MIND may be very helpful.....but from your Doctors role in this, it isn't good enough.

I'll find you some links and post them later.

Caramoole :)

Guest China Doll

Thank you so much caramoole I have got 3 books on order about OCD hopefully be with me soon as regarding our GP surgery the other Doctors We Have Are not very good he offered me a mild tranquilliser which I said NO straight away as I don't wish to take them that would be my last results to all this but any help would be great but I am disabled and live on welfare so money is tight so I would love to see someone straight away if I could afford it but I am stuck in a System of waiting my turn like everyone else China x

Guest China Doll

Caramoole I am having a very very bad time at the minutes I keep thinking if I do it it will go away hurting myself but more my hubby I am so so frightened and not sleeping and got a very dry mouth shakes my body trembling is this normal as I cannot remember being like this in the past but I might have don't no though and am constantly crying at everything I so hate this feelings want them to go away sorry to bother you again but I just don't no who or what to do thank you China x

Guest China Doll

Hi everyone as you can see I am very bad at the moment with my OCD and am having a really bad time just don't no what to do I have read a little about the condition but it at the moment don't seem to help much I have wrote above how I am doing is all this thoughts normal thank you China Doll x

Hi China Doll, It's not going to magically make things stop, but I highly recommend checking out the Four Steps information here: http://www.ocduk.org/four-steps

The Four Steps are a CBT technique developed by Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz, a leading researcher in the OCD field. I've found it a very helpful technique and also recommend his book Brain Lock which talks more about OCD and the a Four Steps.

Guest China Doll

Can I just ask people on here if anyone has heard of THE LINDEN METHOD it says they can cure anxiety-panic attacks-OCD-Puro.o-ect and has anyone tried the method it does cost money for a pack but I am not sure if it is a really company or a Scam Thank you China

Hey China, if you do a search on the main forum you'll come across some pretty extensive threads on the Linden Method, and unfortunately for those of us suffering from OCD, the relief it promises doesn't seem to hold up. Unlike CBT it doesn't have any good evidence to support it (outside the claims they make about themselves but don't let others verify).

Guest China Doll

Thank you dksea it's just you see this and read it and think woow there is some really good help out there someone that can cure you from this horror and you are then sucked into there world I have read everything he said Mr linden put how nothing worked for him and pill after pill and the cost of it will be hundreds I bet thank you once again I will not be doing his method at all China

I completely understand the draw of what Liden (and others promise). Who wouldn't want to be free of OCD, especially if it was permanent? Unfortunately some people in the world take advantage of people in need by offering quick fixes that don't really work. Hopefully someday there will be atrue cure for conditions like OCD, but until then I think the wisest approach is to stick with the treatment methods that are backed up by independent evidence and supported by mental health experts worldwide. CBT and medication aren't perfect but they are pretty good!