my big crisis

Guest Lalau9292

Guest Lalau9292

Hello everyone! :original:

I have a pure hypocondriac disorder. This last summer I went to aupair in Italy and as I went out of my confort zone my obsessions increased until such a point I can't do a normal life anymore...

I believe I have a cerebral cancer even though I have had a head scanner. I am scared of some black flashing spots I see sometimes, when I am tired or simply with the light (they are very annoying and seem a visual epileptic attack). I had never had such an strong obsession. I have the though 24/7 and it produces me a very deep suffering.

Luckily next week I am starting a therapy, conductual I guess. I am taking antidepressive medication, but it doesn't make much difference.

Do you think I'll be able to get over it??

Luck for all of you :clover: I know how hard it cn be...

Bienvenido Lalau! Health concerns are a common issue among OCD sufferers so you are it alone. I've gone through periods in the past of excessive health concerns (diabetes, cancer, etc.). Even now I tend to be more anxious when I feel unwell. I'm glad to hear you'll h satiating therapy soon, it can definitely help with anxiety conditions like OCD. Regarding medication, unfortunately the type used to treat OCD/depression (SSRIs, TCAs etc.) can take time, sometimes weeks or even a couple months for you to feel the full effects. On top of that finding the right medication for you as an individual can take a few tries. If you've just started try to be patient, if you've been taking the drugs for some time it's worth following up with your doctor to see if a different drug might be worth trying. I do think you will be able to have success against your fears, but it will take time and work, so keep,fighting!

Guest Lalau9292

Thank you very much!! I've been depressed for 6 months now... I think it's more about not having seen a therapist than the drugs, which don't really do much. I think attitude is key an my attitude is not good, I make the obsession bigger again and again... then you think about it every moment and it becomes a hell! Have you ever had such a strong obsession you can't help thinking about it 24h per day??

Thank you again :original: :original: :original:

Guest GAV1984

Lalau9292,

Sorry to jump in but yes and a big huge YES i have had awful mental obsessive thoughts about my health for years that would think about literally 24/7, its horrendous and i know exactly what that feels like! Im sorry to hear you have it to, wouldnt wish it on worst enemy! Hope you get better and YOU WILL, i got better when i went on tablets at only 50mg per day when i thought i wouldnt!!

Absolutely, some days when I was really struggling I don't even know how I made it to the point where I was better. One thing Ive found that really helps me is to not let myself linger in bed in the morning. Simply getting up, showering and getting some food can make my day feel so much brighter. Another thing I've found I getting out of the house and doing even simple things like getting an errand done helps. The worst thing when I'm struggling is when I sit around and dwell on my worries. Hope that helps!