hi im new to ocd and would like help.

Guest dom92

hi my name is dom my doctor diagnosed me with ocd and anxiety and i was wondering if anyone had the same obsessions as mine as mine are centered around suicide and when i get the thoughts my anxiety gets really bad.my main fear is what if i gave into the thoughts im am 23 and only new to ocd my doctor says i have pure o. i do count some things and have to do things in even numbers but its not really bad that way. please help thanks!! :)

Hi Dom. Welcome to the forum.

Suicidal thoughts are a known OCD theme. It must be awful. I've come across several people on the forum who have had this type of obsession. Are you going to get some therapy to help you deal with your OCD?

Have a look around the main forum and feel free to jump in. We'd love to hear from you.

hi thanks for your kind words its been really awful the last 6 months of my life like i said im new to all this. its weird because i worry about my heart stopping all the time kerp checking my pulse an when i get a pain in my head i think its a brain tumor or something thats why i dont understand my thoughts.my doctor told me she sign me up for cbt and im already on meds which dont do much for me tbh. anyway thanks again knowledge is a huge help. also i never want to be on my own with these thoughts is that common? thanks. :)

Yeah, quite common. So it sounds like you have more than just suicidal thoughts going on. Sounds like you have some health obsessions too. Quite common. One thing you'll eventually want to do is identify the compulsions you perform and work hard to not do them.

Obsessions are intrusive, unwanted thoughts that cause distress. (I might be having a heart attack). Compulsions are acts, behaviors, rituals or mental rituals done to try and alleviate the distress. (Checking your pulse).

Over time you'll learn what your compulsions are and you can start working on eliminating them. It feels like we should perform compulsions but at the end of the day they make the situation worse, keeping the original worry top of mind.

yeah that makes alot of sense now that you say it i never knew that checking my pulse was a compulsion. i think i have really bad health obsessions i play football and its so hard to go training and things when i think my heart will stop when im runing around. i know the exercise can help us alot but its hard when you have health obsessions. thanks again.:)