Hi everyone

Guest Petit4

I have had OCD for almost as long as I can remember. I also have long-term PTSD from seeing my father die of a massive heart attack when I was two. My former therapist said that's probably what triggered the OCD, which takes a variety of forms that morph over time.

My main problem lately is the inflated sense of responsibility over things that affect my loved ones, especially my children (who are grown). It drives me absolutely crazy! Sometimes I try to work in the background to control things to go their way, but I generally force myself not to. Either way, I end up worrying that I should have done something if I didn't, or shouldn't have done something if I did!! It's hard to tell the difference between OCD and normal concern sometimes, but I don't see other people agonizing over everything the way I do, so I'm guessing it's mostly OCD.

I realize the best thing to do is let the anxiety happen until it subsides. As you all know, it can be SO hard. Anti-anxiety medication hasn't helped much due to side effects with the doses I need, so I've opted not to do that. I really just need people to talk to. My husband is great, but he doesn't really understand, and I don't have friends who have this problem. Most of them think I'm just a regular worrier.

Thanks for listening. :original:

Laura

Hi Laura

Welcome to the forum

You said letting anxiety happen is the good way..which is true :-)and somewhat difficult..

You are not alone

Everything will be alright

Take care:-)

Hi petit4,

:welcome:

I'd say the difference between OCD & normal concern, is that with OCD you'll feel more anxious to do something, & even when you do that thing, you may feel okay for a while, but then the anxiety will creep back in & you want reassurance that it's been done right, you'll want to check, etc.. It can take a while, as like you say, it can be confusing, it's recognising 'why' you want to do something.

Have you seen anyone about your OCD?

Regards

Symps

Guest Petit4

Thank you all for the encouragement! I appreciate you being here.

Symps, yes I have worked with a therapist. I've learned techniques to work through anxious moments, but doing it consistently is an issue. Some days I do better than others!

Petit4