Gym and OCD?

Guest Kackerlacka

Guest Kackerlacka

Okay, so I find it REALLY tough to hit the gym because of OCD...It used to be my place to go in the past when I was happier and could live life. But ever since my obsessions have hit me hard. I don't want to go. Its like in order for me to go EVERYTHIGN has to be perfect and I cannot be obsessing.

Does anyone have any guidance as to what I can do? I cant seem to go to the gym inless my current obsession(relationship ocd) is totally out of my mind. and the most its stayed out for is 2 weeks about a month ago...so I took advantage of it but haven't been to the gym since. And its like I don't know what to do. My anti-depressant has mad me gain weight. And I really wanna get to the gym to drop the weight but I just cant find the mindset to go and what not.

Guest Kackerlacka

Its a compulsion.

OCD is telling you not to go.So make sure you do go and show it you mean business.

Thank you! I will try that. I have but sometimes I just cant do it. But I will try and stay strong this time and go no matter what!

For a long time my contamination OCD prevented me from going to the gym. I just obsessed about the communal use of the machines and the sweat of others on the machines. All the machines were contaminated.

After hitting absolute rock bottom last July, one of the goals I set, in agreement with the crisis team I was in the care of, was to go back to the gym. Because I had made a commitment to someone else that I would go, I did go. I've also started to go sometimes with one of my friends, so it's a social thing too and peer pressure is also a good motivator.

When the doubt threatens to grip me now, I just say JFDI - Just ****** Do It, because I know how much of a buzz I get from going to the gym. It's like an extra medication. It makes me happy. Plus I've lost 4 inches off my waist, which is good for the self esteem.

It's also worth considering classes, like circuit training, spinning, aquarobics or an organised gym rotation session. Peer pressure and routine work. We are creatures of habit. If we condition ourselves to do a thing regularly, we do it. The OCD uses that negatively. With commitment and determination, we can use that same personality trait to our own benefit.

So JFDI! You know you want to. Do the fingers to the OCD and do the thing you enjoy. :original:

Sometimes I don't feel good physically when I go, because of the OCD , but my wife and I are proud members and enjoy the club membership privileges and the pool showers and brasserie are great.

To us its a sanctuary away from the nasty real world of stress horrible people deafness (for my wife) family pressures and my OCD.

I absolutely loath the way media constantly focus on the horrible and distressing, and at the club the news is not thrust in our faces all the time.

Edited by taurean
Guest Kackerlacka

Guys, thank you all I appreciate all of your replies. This is a huge motivator for me. Thank you so much. I have something to come back to know and look at when I'm feeling downs