Could this be ocd at work

Guest Petit4

I haven't that that obsession in particular, but obsessions can seem very random and really consume you for no apparent reason. I was told by a therapist that I have an obsessive personality, but I also have ocd, which involves compulsions. They aren't the same, but I think it's common for related conditions to coexist. Maybe others here have some insight.

Yes it can be bruces it is related to OCD the obsessional thinking& ruminating, I can relate to that it used to be like that with me when i was so depressed now it can still happen but when I was very depressed i would get very down on seeing successful people whether I knew them or not relaly, what they had, how much they earnt etc etc it really got to me now that i didn't want them being successful but for e.g me being how I was & others being so successful.I think this can all relate to the OCD,the depression no doubt :original: .

Guest Hank79

Yes, I can relate to this. This is why I now stay off Facebook.

A quote I try to remember is one from the poet Max Ehrmann: "Do not compare yourself to others, it will only leave you vain or bitter for there are always people lesser and greater than yourself".

It's not even Facebook it's friends and family that are just doing the normal everyday stuff that I have problems with,they have fulfilled lives with careers and partners and children things that have never happened to me,I find it hard to hear when people tell me life is so enjoyable when I'm finding it so hard

Guest Tricia

I'm not sure it is OCD. I think it's unusual for anyone who is suffering not to feel more down when it appears everyone around them is having a good time. I become especially upset when friends or relatives say things like, 'have a wonderful weekend'. I feel terribly isolated and realize others have no clue how bad life can be.

I was sent to a boarding school as a child (which I loathed) because of my OCD. Many of my former school friends are now on Facebook and they write about their wonderful lives (their words) and world cruises, careers etc. I have to admit although i don't begrudge anyone happiness, it does make me more depressed when I read certain things as I feel I've missed out on so much.

I'm the same when the weather is very good. If it's wet and cold I don't mind being stuck indoors, but when the sun comes out I can feel more depressed, because I am missing out.

One thing I will add, money is not the answer!

Yes I'd like to have a better job but don't feel I have the confidence anymore

You understandably don't have the confidence right now Bruces because you aren't feeling very well,but let yourself get better& that confidence will return trust me :original: .