Has anyone tried a glutamate inhibitor? I've had great results with NAC.

Guest dblaisde

Guest dblaisde

I just joined, scanned the Meds section and noticed nothing on glutamate regulators. I've been plagued by OCD for the last 55 years. Lexapro (an SSRI) has helped a lot for depression, but the anxiety of recurring thoughts was still there. NAC (N-acetylecysteine) has greatly reduced the occurances of these unpleasant thoughts, bringing great relief.

Has anyone else tried them. Below is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page on OCD:

"Much current research is devoted to the therapeutic potential of the agents that affect the release of the neurotransmitter glutamate or the binding to its receptors. These include riluzole,[52]memantine, gabapentin, N-acetylcysteine, topiramate and lamotrigine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder#Research

Memantine and lamotrigine both seemed to increase my anxiety but Gabapentin brought my anxiety down considerably, I'm now on Pregabalin mainly because it's 2 instead of 9 tabs per day! Isn't glutamate a stimulant?

Guest dblaisde

Interesting. I'm glad someone else besides me has tried these drugs because for me they were a Godsend. I suspect more have not tried them because doctors either have never heard of them, or think they're only at the "research stage". Wikipedia is another blessing for keeping up to date with new OCD research.

I tried the ones you mention (here in Thailand most drugs are available without Rx). After trying the ones I could obtain here, NAC was the right choice for me: effective and dirt cheap, and available at almost every vitamin shop (it's an anti oxidant, as well). Each capsule is something like 600mg. I find I only need about 300mg/day, so I have to saw the capsule in half.

A friend of mine was the first person to use NAC in a Yale trial, and for a year was almost free of her OCD.

I have been buying mine from a health food shop.

I wouldn't call them meds as they are a supplement available in health food shops. My friend was taking a much higher dose than that recommended on the bottle and she has not noticed any side effects at all. I've only just started to take it and haven't noticed anything as yet.

Annabel, I meant to say thank you for your message to me on the thread that was closed. I wanted to write there, but obviously can't now. I'll send you a PM.