On trauma

Guest Sisyphus

Guest Sisyphus

For those who might be interested, this is from an article in the New York Times on trauma:

"The willingness to face traumas — be they large, small, primitive or fresh — is the key to healing from them. They may never disappear in the way we think they should, but maybe they don’t need to. Trauma is an ineradicable aspect of life. We are human as a result of it, not in spite of it."

Here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/opinion/sunday/the-trauma-of-being-alive.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

Thanks so much for this link,

I am dealing with ocd and trauma, and August along with December are "very dodgy" months for me trauma wise .

This line really hits home to me - "The willingness to face traumas — be they large, small, primitive or fresh — is the key to healing from them"

Willingness is the key word, closely followed by healing. You can't have one without the other, as i have finally realised. Time to bite the bullet i guess.

Guest Sisyphus

Thanks so much for this link,

I am dealing with ocd and trauma, and August along with December are "very dodgy" months for me trauma wise .

This line really hits home to me - "The willingness to face traumas — be they large, small, primitive or fresh — is the key to healing from them"

Willingness is the key word, closely followed by healing. You can't have one without the other, as i have finally realised. Time to bite the bullet i guess.

Well I'm very sorry to hear that.

I found it very interesting too as it contradicts the somewhat unhelpful defiant approach I learned growing up. It seems the key to all these difficult, traumatic and fearful things in life is to let it pass through you somehow, to experience it fully. I still struggle with the concept, but as they say, "50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong".