Hi there.

Guest Tormented_Relic

Guest Tormented_Relic

While searching the internet for information about OCD I came across this site. After reading some of the posts and being able to relate to a lot of the symptoms I felt the need to join. Somehow it feels better being in amongst fellow sufferers who really understand this condition solely because they are going through it as i am. Somehow it makes me feel not so isolated.

I'm hoping and sure I will get something out of joining this forum and if I can give something back I will. Thinking back it all started when I was about 10 years old, so the only advice I can give at the moment is after 50 years of suffering anxiety, panic attacks and phobias at different stages of my life and now OCD, I'm still alive and kicking and have not gone insane as all those things used to make me feel as if I was and most probably its how you maybe feeling now.

Looking forward to chatting to you all as I'm sure talking about things can be beneficial.

Guest Tormented_Relic

Thank you for the welcome PolarBear and good luck on your road to recovery.

Just as i thought I was winning the fight with anxiety and panic attacks this monster we call OCD raised its ugly head and I seem to feel I have to start all over again. I used to belong to a forum for panic attacks a few years back and found it helpful, so hence I've joined this one mainly to do with OCD. When i think back the panic attacks and OCD go hand in hand, the dreadful feelings I get now if i don't complete the compulsive side of OCD are the same as the panic attacks i used to have travelling too far from home.

From reading just a few posts here I have already learnt that its the compulsive rituals that feeds the obsession and makes it stronger, so there's my first task, to try and resist the compulsive urges.

Guest Tormented_Relic

Yup, I can imagine its not going to be easy and I'm ready for the long battle.

But with my battle over the years with different anxieties and panic attacks i have started to get things in prospective as I feel OCD foiiows the same pattern. The horrible feelings are not new to me, but the way OCD works is. What used to send me off in a panic were things that i could usually, if needed, avoid. A sort of outside my head thing. The problems I have with this OCD is that its within my head and i can't avoid it as its there playing away.

Years ago i did go on medication for the panic attacks but hated taking them because of all the scare stories. i did have a bit of councelling which lasted three sessions but all I was told was what I had already learnt from the internet and books. That was years ago and I expect the treatment today is far better than it used to be and I keep that in the back of my mind as a sort of crutch to fall back on if i fail in my attempt of going it alone.

Why go it alone you may ask, well, I did very well without meds for panic attacks and hope to do the same with this OCD. If all fails and I need the meds and therapy, then so be it, i will try that.