Concerned about the change of DLA to PIP & what it means for those with OCD

Guest PartVie

Guest PartVie

Hi there, as the title says I'm concerned about the upcoming change of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and what it means for those with OCD. The general impression I get is that people with mental health conditions are completely excluded from receiving a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and that only people with physical disabilities will be eligible for this payment. Is this accurate? If so, what other support benefits will still exist for people with mental health conditions (especially OCD)? And will this be sufficient financial support to live off for those unable to work due to a mental health condition?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Annabel

Yes, I'm really worried about it.

Various organizations have actually found that there are very few fraudulent DLA claims each year (around 0.5% of claims are found to be fraudulent & 50% of claims are initially rejected), however the government are claiming that they will make cuts by reducing the number of surplus DLA claiments, to make sure that only those in need get it, so then in order to produce a difference they are having to re-set the boundaries as to what counts as a disability.

The fact that OCD is list as one of the World health organization's top 10 most disabling conditions means nothing and I guess this is just another situation in which sufferers of mental illness are disadvantaged- if you can't see it it's not there.

x

Guest PinkFairy

I am also worried about this. However as usual Mental Health is being pushed to the back. The whole out of sight, out of mind motive. I am sick of the small mindedness of the government ect. We have needs too just like people with visible health difficulties. :( xxx

• 3 months later...
Guest orange socks

i dont really think there is anything to be worried about to be honest . if someone has ocd that is genuinely severe enough for them to not work then they will continue to recieve benefits ....i dont think anything will change .

i guess its just a case of turning up for their assessments and explaining how we are affected and appealing against that decision if we believe they have not understood us correctly etc

i've been told that i will continue to recieve the benefits (dla and long term incapacity benefits) after my last assessment earlier this year .....we just gotta try and explain what our lives are like when we get sent for these assessments - if we do that then there is nothing really to worry about

Edited by orange socks
  • 3 years later...

i dont really think there is anything to be worried about to be honest . if someone has ocd that is genuinely severe enough for them to not work then they will continue to recieve benefits ....i dont think anything will change .

i guess its just a case of turning up for their assessments and explaining how we are affected and appealing against that decision if we believe they have not understood us correctly etc

i've been told that i will continue to recieve the benefits (dla and long term incapacity benefits) after my last assessment earlier this year .....we just gotta try and explain what our lives are like when we get sent for these assessments - if we do that then there is nothing really to worry about

That's been your experience...... The vast majority of people with mental ill health who have been moved onto pip or employment support allowance ......which replaced incapacity ...will tell you otherwise and people have killed themselves after facing these tests and being refused help

Guest OCD_Est.1982

I've just posted a reply on the topic of 'Are you claiming what you're entitled to?'.

Hopefully my advice may ease some of the anxiety and provide tips of what to do when going into battle over benefits

I've just posted a reply on the topic of 'Are you claiming what you're entitled to?'.

Hopefully my advice may ease some of the anxiety and provide tips of what to do when going into battle over benefits

Google the work of Fred penzel on ocd , West Suffolk psychology services , Huntington, new York ......that should take you to a website which will lead to dozens of articles on ocd , they may help u , they have helped me ......also I have his book obsessive compulsive disorder , it will cost you about a tenner off Amazon second hand .....but to be honest there are loads of articles which should help without buying the book eg ....ten things you need to know about ocd , Fred penzel