I'm new

Guest jawsome

Guest jawsome

Hi, I'm new.

I've recently discovered an OCD called dermotillomania and I'm fairly sure I have it, and have had it for several years. I've known that I have compulsions, mostly from anxiety and ADHD, but this is the first time it might be an actual OCD thing and that kind of freaked me out.

Anyway, I thought I'd join to see if this helps at all.

Hope it does. :)

Welcome Jawsome, sorry to hear about your struggles, but glad you have found the forums! In addition to the main OCD forum you may want to check out the BDD forum as some who suffer from BDD also have dermotillomania as well.

Guest IndigoRose

Hey Jawsome,

I suffer from Compulsive skin picking alongside my ocd. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

I find the compulsive skin picking is very different to my ocd in that I can be picking without even realising for ages and once I become aware I feel the urge to continue until it feels right. I also feel over my face for imperfections to pick. Is that similar to what you are experiencing?

Wearing cream helps as it's hard to pick with cream on and acrylic nails are great for girls as it's literally impossible to pick with these on. I also try and chew gum a lot as I chew the skin on the inside of my mouth and my lips.

Really hope this helps and good look with getting a diagnosis.