risperidone

Guest simmo778

Guest simmo778

have just started risperidone and not sure what to expect, I don't feel any different yet. I don't seem to respond from any medication though :( any thoughts on anyone who has been on it and what are you meant to 'feel'

If you're going to feel a positive effect from it, it should be fairly soon. It does not take long for Respiradone to build up in your system, unlike an SSRI. Just give it a few days. Get on with your day and don't focus on the medication. Keep taking them. Time will tell.

Guest Starlight505

I didn't know that risperidone was also used for OCD. I thought it was an anti-psychotic. I currently take quetiapine and venlafaxine. Venlafaxine is making OCD worse, e.g. the repeating actions. I want to try fluoxetine but they don't do XL (extended release) version. I take quetiapine for delusionals, paranoia and psychotic symptoms (I only became psychotic due to genetics, my dad suffers from schizophrenia, he does not have any OCD at all so no need to worry about becoming psychotic). Also I used to practice kundalini yoga which may have caused the psychotic symptoms however I only used to do a couple of exercises).

For OCD I would say the SSRI'S are a first line of treatment. But as you said they don't seem to work for you so in that case risperidone maybe worth a try. I have not tried risperdone personally. However my dad took it and I think his anxiety reduced somewhat but still had problems. I read that fluvoxamine is best OCD med however they rarely prescribe it due to side-effects.

I was on risperidone for a couple of months a few years ago and it didnt make a lot of difference, just made me hungrier and I had to come off it coz it lowered my Prolactin levels but maybe i wasnt on it for long enough to get the affect. its not sedating is it?

Guest Bushbaby

When my daughter was taking Risperidone, she slept for England. It did sedate her and she was only taking a tiny amount. It did calm her down temporarily.

What dose are you taking?

I suppose different people react to meds in different ways. I hope it works for you.

Hi Simmo,

OCD-UK recently published this on the use of anti-psychotics.......thought I'd mention it in case it might be helpful.

I'd give the Risperidone a fair chance to kick-in over the next couple of weeks, but if you're having any problems, don't hesitate to have a word with whoever prescribed them to you.

Hal :original: