Does anyone have this problem?

Guest Petit4

Guest Petit4

I never asked anyone about this, but I think it's part of OCD. Does anyone feel like every conversation has to have closure? For example, if I email somebody and they don't respond, I feel anxiety even if the conversation wasn't important! Likewise, if I'm already engaged in a conversation (in person or by email or text), I'll ask myself if I need to say something further, or does the other person feel the conversation is over. Leaving it open-ended is difficult.

Does that make sense? It definitely has an OCD feel to it, and the compulsion is either rumination or making sure I or the other person "closes" the discussion.

Trying to figure myself out. Thanks!

Petit4

Guest Captiinbirdseye

Yeah i kind of get this also mainly with arguments though i feel the need to finish something once its started other wise it bothers me a lot whether thats part of our OCD or not im not sure maybe we just built like that its not necessarily a bad thing but yeah your not alone i tend to be much the same.

Petit, it certainly has shades of OCD to it. The key is that you perform compulsions if the conversation is not 'closed'.

What you need to do is practice leaving conversations open and practice not performing those compulsions. Pretty straight forward.

Guest Petit4

Yes, I think the compulsion is the ruminating or responding again when it wasn't necessary. I don't really get like that about not finishing other things, so at this point I'm convinced it's OCD. I'll work on leaving it alone.

Captiin, I don't know whether arguments fall into that category either. In many ways it's a good thing not to leave arguments unresolved. I guess the key is (as PolarBear said) whether we perform compulsions.

Petit4