Intrusive thoughts

Does anyone else find that when they're anxiety is really high and you are really scared of the thoughts and trying to push them away but let them in they seem so much more scary and real but when the anxiety is down you can think the same thoughts and they don't bother you one bit? X

Edited by The OCDJ

Yep! Makes me feel as though the sum of all my issues is simply excessive anxiety.

Thats what OCD is though. Its not the thoughts themselves, plenty of people without OCD get those thoughts. The brain usually filters out those thoughts as junk that needs no attention but for OCD sufferers they dwell on the thoughts and often the brain sends out a false anxiety signal - which then makes you pay even more attention to them! You may ask yourself questions like.. Why did I have that thought? That must mean I want it to happen? Does that make me a bad person? What does this thought mean? (I was Harm OCD) Which then re enforces the thought and keeps it in your head longer, often causing even more anxiety and triggering the overwhelming need to perform a compulsion to relieve yourself from it.

When you feel the anxiety rise. Let it be, how much worse can you feel? The height of OCD anxiety is the worst feeling wver in this illness, it can"t get any worse from here, only better. Remind yourself of that when you have the anxiety. OCD is anxiety, not the thoughts themselves :)

X