Scratching & impulse control

Guest jwsw

Hi all, I used to have OCD when younger (the sorting, counting kind) but since about ten years my issue is more around my skin. I struggle not to scratch and even though I know it's a stress reaction and that the effects are bad, I struggle to control the urge. Does this still "fit" in this forum? Anyone else with similar issues? It's close to skin picking but I scratch, not pick.

I have had basic councelling therapy for two years and gone through many moisturiser and other medications, but the problem is ultimately that I need to be able to NOT SCRATCH. Simple, yet very hard. Any pointers in good directions for how to approach this?

Thank you.

J

• 1 month later...
Guest Johhny2Stripes

When those with eczema or other skin conditions have an urge to scratch they are told to make a fist and rub with the underneath of the hand to prevent damage to the skin. I know when my OCD was getting me down my doctor told me to put an elastic band on my wrist and when ever i felt an urge to do something to pull on the elastic and let it go presumably to break the cycle.

This sounds like skin picking disorder. It doesn't have to be a case of picking. Scratching fits too.

There is a type of CBT called Habit Reversal Therapy (HRT) that seems to be quite successful in treating skin picking disorder. You might want to look into that.