Hi,

I'm new to the forum so just thought I'd introduce myself:

I'm 18 and currently studying for my A-Levels at school. I am only just beginning to accept that I have OCD (and have had it for a long time)

after the amazing support of one of my teachers. She recognised some of my symptoms and has encouraged me to get help. Thanks to her support, I am now waiting to have CBT.

It'd be great to be able to talk to other people who also have OCD as I feel I can't talk to anyone about it except from my teacher.

I have decided not to tell my friends or other teachers at present, however there were 2 separate occasions where it was necessary for me to tell

someone I had OCD and they both responded by saying 'We all have a little bit of that.' I am definitely not blaming them and I'm glad they haven't experienced the torment of OCD, but it made me feel as if not many people really understand.

Anyway, I am determined to beat this illness and get back in control.

If anyone ever wanted to talk, you're welcome to message me :)

Thanks for reading :)

Hi Butterflygirl & welcome! :welcome:

I'm sorry to hear you feel put off by some peoples responses to your OCD, unfortunetly it's still a misunderstood illness, but I'm glad you've found somebody who understands it & are awaiting treatment :original:

You certainly have the right attitude (positive) & this along with accepting that it is OCD are two MASSIVE weapons in defeating it! We'll all be here rooting for you! :sport_boxing:

I hope you feel welcome about getting involved on the forums & also it is well worth taking a look around the rest of the site to get more knowledge on OCD. (Knowledge is power after all!)

On a personal level, I have just started my second batch of CBT, having been through it 3 years ago. I would strongly advise you to be as honest & as open as you can be with your therapist & to tell them EVERYTHING (believe me, they'll have heard it all before), so that they give you the best care possible, & also to stick to your treatment even when you feel like you OCD isn't too bad. I didn't, & now I'm back in therapy again :blink:

Kindest regards

Symps

Hi Butterfly, welcome to the forums! I'm glad to hear that your teacher was able to help you so much? I hope you get help with CBT soon, it can be very effective, and I agree with Symps that you are attacking it with a great attitude.

I definitely agree that people often have a very poor awareness of what OCD is and what it's like to REALLY have it, but in my own lifetime with OCD (I'm 34, have had OCD since 13) I've seen a significant improvement and charities like OCD-UK are a big part of that change. Hopefully by the time you are my age it will be even better!

Anyway, feel free to hop in on the main forums and participate!

Hi Butterfly

We have quite a lot of young members on the main forum - and younger ones on the young people's forum.

i am 64 and retired and my OCD didn't really get going until in my 20s . I didn't know what it is and didn't seek specific help for many years - so you are very much doing the right thing as it is easier to treat before it spreads.

Well done that teacher but you can download some material from the main OCD-UK website follow how can we help you - that will assist you in explaining your specific problems with OCD so they can be readily understood.