Hi

Guest HugMySoul

Guest HugMySoul

Long time lurker, finished my CBT so thought I'd register just in case I have any problems now I am out or I can help anyone with my experience.

I'm in my 40s, got diagnosed recently but looking back I have had OCD all my life, but only recently it became so bad another guy at work tipped me off that I had it as he recognised the behaviour.

Hoarding, ROCD, magical thinking with numbers & checking was/is my thing. Happy to report the CBT has helped everything apart from the ROCD, which still flares up now and again. Christmas is always a bad time for it so hoping it will fade a bit soon.

Guest HugMySoul

Sorry to talk to myself (which I do a lot IRL anyway ;) ) but I can't find an edit button to edit my post.

I would like to clarify I don't think I'm cured of OCD, thanks to CBT I have most of it under control. It was taking over my life and causing huge anxiety and depression, which seemed to feed the OCD so it was a vicious circle. The hoarding side was really hard work at first, there was years of **** to get rid of, the problem was that throwing it out would have taken 3 hours for a normal person. I hesitated with every thing and had to split into rubbish/recycle/keep which took about 3 days off and on. My keep pile was too high so then had to revisit it and repeat. I am now a lot faster and getting rid of clutter, although I do still have to split into rubbish and recycle. However you could argue this is a good thing for the enviroment.