Washing hands.

Guest Alen_Sft

Guest Alen_Sft

Hi, I'm 16 year old teenager who has, I think, big problem. I wash my hands 30-50 times a day. I just feel they are dirty and if I dont wash them something will get into me really bad, like some bacteria, and I will be sick. This started to have effects to my hands. They are so dry, and they hurt me so much, I have to use some medications. This all started as I lost weight. I had 180 lb and now I have around 147 lb. Please suggest me something, this is really effecting my life. Thank you.

Alen, welcome to the forum.

Contamination is one of the most of common OCD themes there is. Obviously you have a problem if the amount of washing you do is affecting your hands. I am concerned about your weight loss. Do you know why you are losing so much weight? Are you not eating and if so, do you know why you aren't eating?

I'm not sure what kind of help is available in Bosnia. Have you looked into finding an OCD therapist to help you?

Guest Alen_Sft

I lost weight mainly becouse I didnt have appetite as before, I eat like half as I used to. There is some OCD therapists in my country, but the queue is too big, I would need to wait like 3 months. I'm also depressed, or so I think. Any help would be great, my life is really starting to cave in.

P.S. I lost that weight in about 3-4 months

Thank you.

Depression is very common along with OCD and that would likely explain your weight loss. That is a lot of weight to lose.

At this point I think it would be very good for you to learn all you can about OCD. You need to understand what obsessions and compulsions are so you can identify those as they relate to you.

Some people have been able to make improvements in their lives by taking care of therapy on their own. The first step is education, understanding OCD very well. Then you need to understand what CBT/ERP are when it comes to OCD (the two main therapies for overcoming OCD) and be willing to put them into practice.

One place you can start is reading the great information at www.ocduk.org