17 and think I have OCD

Guest Lulu88

Hi,

I am 17 years old and have suffered from anxiety for a long time and am constantly worried about just about everything and anything eg. someone breaking into my house, travelling abroad. Sometimes that this anxiety gets so much that I end up breaking down and has meant in the past that I have struggled to sleep and have got very upset at sixth form. As well as this I feel the need for things to be done in a particular way and get very upset when things are out of my normal routine.

I also have horrible thoughts about members of my family dying and the need to (usually just before I am about to go to sleep) make a detailed plan of what I would do in each situation. This is something that I struggle to avoid doing despite the fact that it really upsets me.

I haven't really talked to anyone about this before, however it has been suggested quite a while ago that I maybe should talk to the college counseller, but this just makes me more anxious! There is one teacher at college that I am very close to and feel that I can talk to, and I did go through a stage of having to walk past her classroom everyday in order to make me feel less worried about everything even though I wasn't actually speaking to her, I got very distressed if I didn't do this. I find it hard to talk to people because I find myself snappy and grumpy most of the time and I think that this is pulling me away from my friends.

I really don't know what to do and would appreciate any suggestions, thank you :)

Guest worriedmum

Hi there thank you for being so open and sharing. Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I would suggest that you do seek some support and help. I recognise a lot of what you have shared from my son's experience with OCD. If it is OCD, there is help available and the sooner you are able to get some help, the sooner you can start to feel better and less anxious. It might be a good idea to speak to the counsellor at your college, or maybe that one teacher you are close to. However, they might just suggest that you seek more professional help by going to your GP.

It can be nerve-wracking talking to people about things like this, but you are not the first and they will have heard similar before. It might help you to write things down and take that with you, if you think you'll get too nervous. Do you think you could talk to your parents about this? It is hard to face things like this alone and maybe they could support you in seeing your doctor.

There is a lot more advice and information on our main website too, so please do take a look. Let us know how you get on.

Guest nswitch

Hi Lulu88,

Go and see your college councillor or your GP and don't worry-they will help you. I first began suffering from OCD when I was 15 (I am 44 now). I wish I had had someone to turn to then as I spent years suffering until I was diagnosed when I was 39. And remember, you aren't alone.