medication side effects

Guest allybally

Guest allybally

Hi, I've had OCD but only the obsession part for nearly 11 years now, and have just gone back onto medication after nearly 2 years and its making me feel very different, I'm on my second day and the side effects started on the 1st day, I feel numbed, really tight jaw, no appetite but can eat, lump in my throat and the worrying one is it makes me feel careless, I'm so calm it's unreal, but nice at the same time, many thanks

I'm on setraline 50mm

Ally

First of all, with a fair bit of experience here behind me, I've never met anyone who only had obsessions. You undoubtedly perform compulsions, though you may not be aware that you are.

SSRIs come with a whole host of side effects. Quite often they dissipate after a while and are no longer a problem. Keep track of what your symptoms are and report them to your doctor. If you have a major side effect, go see your doctor at once.

Guest aaronthegreat1989

Hi, I've had OCD but only the obsession part for nearly 11 years now, and have just gone back onto medication after nearly 2 years and its making me feel very different, I'm on my second day and the side effects started on the 1st day, I feel numbed, really tight jaw, no appetite but can eat, lump in my throat and the worrying one is it makes me feel careless, I'm so calm it's unreal, but nice at the same time, many thanks

I'm on setraline 50mm

Ally

Hi ally, i'm thinking of going on medication for my OCD. Would you recommend these? What is your experience with them? Have they helped at all with your symptoms?

Thank you!

-Aaron.

Guest aaronthegreat1989

Hi, it's to early for me to fully say Fully but I do feel less stressed in myself and I am unable to concentrate on my thoughts

Ally

Interesting... Thank you! i'll be on CBT soon. So i hope that helps!

-Aaron

I want to backup both of the points Polar Bear points out above.

First, regarding obsessions only, I too believed I only had the obsessions (sometimes called Pure-O) OCD for years. I eventually realized after working with a trained therpaist and reading more about OCD as I got older that I had covert compulsive behaviors. People are usually familiar with common outward compulsions like washing hands or counting or repeating things. My compulsions involved avoidance of certain situations or reminders of my obsessions, and even bigger rumination, or constantly trying to analyze and "solve" my obsessions. These can be tougher because they are hard to distinguish sometimes from the obsessive worry and also because they are purely mental, others can't see or notice it. I encourage you to check out the information on the main page about OCD and see if it helps you identify so,e compulsions you might not have known about. Definitely if/when you start doing CBT your therpaist should help you with it too.

Second, regarding side effects, yes it's common for people to experience some side effects when starting SSRIs that much of the time fades as your body adjust to the new medication. Polar Bears advice is spot on. Keep track of side effects, let your doctor know but try to have patience,

Welcome to the forums I hope you find them helpful!