Working out Thought processes

Guest Bexx

Does anyone have the type of OCD where you have to work out your thoughts for example what you were thinking and when and it ends up getting into along chain of thoughts to work out?

Guest Sisyphus
Bexx, on 31 Mar 2014 - 8:40 PM, said:

Does anyone have the type of OCD where you have to work out your thoughts for example what you were thinking and when and it ends up getting into along chain of thoughts to work out?

Hi Bexx,

There's a kind of OCD where the sufferer tends to think things through instead of carrying out phsyical compulsions. People generally refer to it as Pure O though OCD UK maintains that such subdivisions of OCD are misleading and there's only one kind of OCD.

Anyway whatever it's called, I have that kind of OCD and many others here.

At first it would just use pretty much random stuff from every day life I was thinking through. And I'd have to focus on it and rethink it through properly until it all kind of clicked into place then I could carry on with whatever I was doing. That was totally bearable. But then it got worse and I'd have to kind of psyche myself up for various things by thinking lots of things through in the same way, which became intrusive and time consuming. Then it found some real ammunition to latch onto and that's where the trouble really started. Wheels within wheels. Round and round we go. Frequent repeated triggers and mental mantras to extinguish the resulting fires in my mind.

God forbid anyone interrupts me in the middle of this process - not only is is extremely distressing to me, but I can be quite rude or even agressive to the person interrupting.

I don't know if this was even the kind of thing you meant though.

Cheers,

David.

Hi David, thanks for replying.

I'm so glad I found someone who knows how I'm feeling. Friends and family don't seem to get it and I really did think I was the only person in the world doing it this way.

I started taking 20mg citalopram 2 weeks ago and at first I thought it was helping but now I'm not so sure. Tonight is the worst I've been for a long time. I'm so tired and I just can't rest.

Bex

Guest Sisyphus

Bex,

Well the good news is you'll find a *ton* of people on here who understand how you're feeling. OK so some days it's quiet and not so many are answering threads but what I mean is a lot of people signed up to this site have the same thing.

I'm afraid I can't advise on the Citalopram as I'm not on any medication at the moment - I see people mention that one a lot though so hopefully someone can advise. OK so technically I was on it something like 8 years ago, maybe more, but I can't recall anything about it now, except that it's not good to come off it cold turkey. Crazy head buzzes.

Tired and can't rest eh? Hmmmmm. Have you tried meditating? Or either sitting in a chair or lying down and listening to some nice music. I was just listening to The Best of Chopin on youtube and that's very relaxing. That man knew how to write a tune. Not everyone's cup of tea though I know. Or a film maybe? Have you seen The Fountain?

From what I gather on here some of these drugs can take a while to properly take effect, and sometimes it's a case of trial and error, trying a succession of different drugs until one works.

I'm sorry I don't know any more beyond that.

Hang in there,

David.

Edited by Sisyphus